Krautrock - an appreciation

All music posts here please.
Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Has thanked: 0
Canada

Re: Krautrock - an appreciation

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

Starglow Energy were Swiss, not Krautrock.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Krautrock is a style / genre not solely dependent on nationality.

I've had enough of these 'discussions' for now, anyway.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Canada

Eloy & Jane - not Krautrock.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Jane were one of the initial set of bands that defined the Krautrock sound.

I begin to suspect that you are deliberately stating things that you already know to be incorrect.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Canada

Stefan Morawietz who made documentary of german rock scene back then:

"Their * sound derived from English bands."

*speaking specifically of Jane & Eloy

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fret:
talking Krautrock is like talking King Crimson; there are many disparate levels - you have to define which period King Crimson.

Krautrock can be the almost secular, calm music of Popol Vuh (but not the first rocking lp), or the agitation of Amon Duul, the noise of Kluster. It can be the ambience and melody of Cluster or the total assault of Faust. The minimalism of Faust (on the Recommended lp) or the wah-wah guitar meanderings of Guru Guru. But the two "twin peaks" and polar opposites of Kraut would have to be the Kosmiche (evolking wide space) and the 4/4 beat of motorik (that side of Krautrock which did all the influencing - almost all of it towards future shit-musics like hip-hop and synthpop.)
In short , Krautrock envelopes a BIG field from repetion to improv.

As to Jane, there is nothing groundbreaking there (and that too was what Krautrock was all about - to break out of the German schlager and (blues) influence of America). Jane is chorus and lyrics, message and lead vocalist. Krautrock is none of these things. Jane is staged rock & personality. Krautrock is "collective energy" and a sense of stasis/timelessness. It is escape from rock cliche.

Canada

You see, basically it boils down to this: they were simply trying to be different. Approaching uniqueness from different directions.

On music discussion forums, inevitably Kraut-coteries are formed where the posters stick to that SINGLE FACET of Krautrock that they most enjoy.(And , I'm sorry to say, it would appear to be the motorik aspect.)

Hence you will get statements like :"How can Schultze be considerered Krautrock? Is electronic music then to be put under the Krautrock banner?"
So ,even though Shultze, like no other, breathes wide krauty space and - yes, Kraut WAS about (violent) crude electronics (but Schultze for the most part was not); even though....the poster simply does not LIKE electronic music so he negates it altogether from the (rather) complex Krautrock equation.

Canada

Fretless:

We must be realistic here.
The group Jane is as much Krautrock as is...say Birthcontrol.

I assume you are thinking their first lp, with the emphasis on the great vocalist (who was to die a short while after).

Jane starts off hammond/guitar bluesy hardrock. Harmony-driven.

Jane "3" is shorn of keys and is straight rock n' roll. (Shit, they later became the band, Harlis and it doesn't get rockier than that.)

By the 5th and 6th lps Jane were full-blown symphonic prog - total Pink Floyd (Gilmore guitar) wannabees. Secondhand Floyd. The sound becomes even more melodic, softer.
You would not call Novalis Kraut ,would you? Same goes for Jane.

So lets be realistic:

you take this Jane-is-Kraut nonsense on any upright forum and they just might give you a right go-along.

No point belabouring the issue.

(And, afterall, Blind Chile is certainly in far better position to know about such things, wouldn't you agree?)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Missy, I have largely dismissed you as a troll but your last few posts here where you have explained instead of *stated* have been fascinating, you should do it more often. I am far from expert in music of any specifics, I very much focus on music that shows me what equipment does. Krautrock I always thought was our western terms for a German progressive electronic music form - sadly I haven't progressed beyond Kraftwerk.

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

I think the border between Krautrock and Prog is fluent. Jane, as you mentioned is often classified as Krautrock here in Germany, but were called the "German Pink Floyd" as well. Embryo was called Krautrock, too, but today you would say it's worldmusic, because they let themselves be influenced by the music of all the countries they travelled to.

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:20 pm Missy, I have largely dismissed you as a troll but your last few posts here where you have explained instead of *stated* have been fascinating, you should do it more often. I am far from expert in music of any specifics, I very much focus on music that shows me what equipment does. Krautrock I always thought was our western terms for a German progressive electronic music form - sadly I haven't progressed beyond Kraftwerk.
With me it's the other way round: Your equipment shows me what was hidden in my loved music before! So my stuff is what I need your stuff for.