Fane 12-250TC Full Range Speaker

A place for DIY project discussions.
Karnevil9
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fane 12-250TC Full Range Speaker

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Im genuinely interested. The Rexine drew a blank till i looked it up & then realised what it was. Still never heard of it. i thought it was Tolex'.

Anyway Just one thing you said about ultimate Bass extension, is this like a muted bass like what you get from say a small book shelf speaker?

lastly i play at low levels when using speakers, Is all the detail there at low level listening?

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Plenty of low level detail when playing at low volume.
The speakers need placing next to walls to get good bass extension. There is useful bass down to 40Hz, but it is in no way muted like a bookshelf speaker. Bass instruments do carry the appropriate weight. Earthquake room shaking is not included in the spec. If you want that, I'm afraid you'll need to look elsewhere.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Karnevil9

Ok Steve
I think im going to have a bash at a pair of these.. I have seen mention somewhere people using 40/45 Ltr sealed Cabs!

How tall are those wooden Legs?

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

My cabs are 78L, the legs are 5" tall.

Karnevil9

Ok Cheers. Us blokes from South Yorkshire are not only sex gods but have good ears too.. so i full trust your judgement over the sound of em..

:grin:

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Karnevil9 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:43 pm Ok Cheers. Us blokes from South Yorkshire are not only sex gods but have good ears too.. so i full trust your judgement over the sound of em..

:grin:
As you are South Yorkshire, why not ask Steve if you can go round to his for a listen ?

Then you would know exactly what to expect.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Yesterday afternoon, I hosted what was supposed to be an amp bake-off with my Fane full rangers as the reference speaker.
The contenders were two stupidly powerful Crown PA amps, A Bruce Rozenblit Transcendent Sound, 15W OTL valve amp (top of the pile) the "Mutant" DIYNVA amp and my pink SET.

Instead, we ended up having a great time playing music on vinyl and digital and couldn't be arsed in the end with baking anything off. We just tried all the amps in turn and although there were clear differences, they all played music to a high standard of quality. The OTL in particular was magic.
Completely unscientific it all was: we couldn't even be arsed to play the same track over and over on the different amps. It just ended up as a music get-together and appreciation, starring Maria Callas, Handel, Anita O'Day, Chuck Berry, Robert Cray, Van Morrison, Bob Marley, Razoof and a few others.

Don't know what that says about our hi-fi buff credentials, but it was a bloody enjoyable afternoon.
Sat here now with the DIYNVA wafting some smooooth jazz about.

NVA or OTL and a pair of decent speakers: paradise for a music lover. :guiness;

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I could have told you that before you started. Big amps do what big amps do, but are not a domestic compromise / solution, I know because I used to make them.

At a pinch I could live with a single ended 300B or 2A3 (is that the number) but only with carefully chosen speakers. The OTL as long as it doesn't blow up and burn the house down CAN be magic and is the only all round valve design I could musically live with.

Karnevil9

The Majority of my amps have been like no more than 30 watt but generally lower. The most enjoyable amps regarding valves i have live with was a Leak 'Stereo 20', alser Leak 'TL12+ I would use them again but Hi-Fi is no longer a passion with me, its more like im gonna do but never do, Convenience always takes preference..

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Chris brought the big amps for a laugh. He normally uses them on the PA rig he hires out to music venues as part of his business.
The large one on the floor is capable of 2.5KW into a 2ohm load all day long. It was capable of loosening the plaster with its bass performance, but I wouldn't let him turn it up as I value my hearing and my relationship with the rest of the street. :lol:

The other pro amp was rather noisily fan-cooled and did a marvelous rendition of "Maria Callas sings "Carmen" live in the server room" :lol:

Although pro gear is no use whatsoever in the house, it certainly was fun. I wouldn't let a pro amp loose on a pair of domestic hi-fi speakers, but the Fanes, being pro drivers were unruffled; in fact the pro amps did a sterling job of further running in the full-range drivers.

I don't have the self-discipline to do serious bake-offs; I have the wrong attitude, can't be quiet for long enough basically.
Interestingly, once the final phase of the bake-off got under way with the vinyl and the OTL I was able to sit through whole sides of Handel and Carmen, without talking.

There are more pics and more details of the "bake-off" on the Fane 12-250TC thread, on Audio Talk.
Last edited by SteveTheShadow on Sun May 20, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.