Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Building a DIY amp with NVA amplifier boards

Unread post by karatestu »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:12 pm Don't use ANY regulation on those boards, they don't need it and they don't want it.
Understood. Makes life (and the amp) simple :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Today I am noticing the snare drum wires vibrating at a low level in the back ground whilst the band are playing- this usually happens when there is a bass guitar playing near by. There is an adjustment knob on a snare drum to change how tight the snares are on the bottom head. Too tight and press rolls don't sound how they should do. Too slack and the snares rattle away to anything else in the room.

So now I know this particular recording was probably all done in one take with all the musicians in the same room. The drummer has his snares adjusted about right I would say as he has just done a press role (Art Blakey is famous for them) and it sounded mighty fine. You have to put up with a bit of snare buzzing but I have never heard it on this recording before.

Bravo Doc :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

High Fidelity = chasing reality, or it should be. Yet you get all the excuse makers saying how do you know what was there originally, well for me it is pretty bloody obvious, as Stu is finding.

You don't know something is missing until you hear it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

karatestu wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:04 pm Today I am noticing the snare drum wires vibrating at a low level in the back ground whilst the band are playing- this usually happens when there is a bass guitar playing near by. There is an adjustment knob on a snare drum to change how tight the snares are on the bottom head. Too tight and press rolls don't sound how they should do. Too slack and the snares rattle away to anything else in the room.

So now I know this particular recording was probably all done in one take with all the musicians in the same room. The drummer has his snares adjusted about right I would say as he has just done a press role (Art Blakey is famous for them) and it sounded mighty fine. You have to put up with a bit of snare buzzing but I have never heard it on this recording before.

That'd possibly be on Blue Note then, what album?

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

karatestu
Great Britain

Alfi wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:54 pm
karatestu wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:04 pm Today I am noticing the snare drum wires vibrating at a low level in the back ground whilst the band are playing- this usually happens when there is a bass guitar playing near by. There is an adjustment knob on a snare drum to change how tight the snares are on the bottom head. Too tight and press rolls don't sound how they should do. Too slack and the snares rattle away to anything else in the room.

That'd possibly be on Blue Note then, what album?

Alfi.
The snare drum buzzing was on a Blue Break Beats compilation, cant remember the track. Will let you know tomorrow when i have the cd in my hand. Art Blakey (the master of the press roll) was on the album Moanin' . The title track is fabulous. In fact most of the Blue Note stuff (late 50's and 60's) is absolutely awesome.
DIY FREE ZONE

Chunk McDaniel

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Bet this sounds awesome well done Stu. Your amp build thread is very entertaining. I am always checking in for updates. Keep up the good work bud.

karatestu
Great Britain

Chunk McDaniel wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:21 am Bet this sounds awesome well done Stu. Your amp build thread is very entertaining. I am always checking in for updates. Keep up the good work bud.
Cheers Chunk :guiness; . Thanks for your comment, i am glad people are enjoying it. Yes it does sound awesome but i am bound to say that. Objectivists would say it is expectation bias (or some other bollox) as i put so much time into it and built it myself. Lets say, i dont take ANY notice of objectivists or people with an agenda anymore.

I am a big believer in getting the transformer as far away from sensitive circuitry as possible. With diy it is liberating not to have to work within the confines of piddling little cases. Hence why mine are on big sheets of wood - i can get the transformer over 20 cm from the amplifier circuitry :grin: Big musical gains (IMO of course).

Trust YOUR ears 100% and don't rely on anyone else's. Oh, and listen to the Doc :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I told you - people either admire and watch how much better it gets or watch in horror waiting for you to kill yourself - chain saw hi-fi :mrgreen:

It is our version of the Archers, it is unlikely it will ever end.

:epopc:

karatestu
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:23 pm I told you - people either admire and watch how much better it gets or watch in horror waiting for you to kill yourself - chain saw hi-fi :mrgreen:

It is our version of the Archers, it is unlikely it will ever end.

:epopc:
I will run out of things to try eventually :( The chainsaw episode was a tricky one. It was only a small one that runs from a battery i put on my back when up trees. The hardest part was keeping it under control when it was inside those MS902S. One slip and goodbye speaker :lol: Then there was the car jack in the semi omni speaker to remove the mid driver :lol: :lol:

Agricultural engineering at it's finest. I am still thinking about making speakers out of bits of tree trunk and hollowing them out with the chainsaw. Boring in to wood with the tip of the saw is a dangerous undertaking. All you need is some kick back and you have chainsaw in the face :o

Archers fans say you don't listen to the show, you watch it. :think:
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

You need one like this Stu..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xPq-RWRTUM

Now that's a chainsaw :lol:

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.