Super Sound Pipe & LS/5 At The Crack Of Dawn

All general audio posts go here.
Lotus Seven S
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Super Sound Pipe & LS/5 At The Crack Of Dawn

Unread post by Lotus Seven S »

I am a subjectivist - all the way down.

This means amongst many other things that it is almost impossible for me to write a review of these new acquisitions. But what I can do, is tell you about what happened to me, when I plugged in the black cables to the black boxes.

As a subjectivist I am also a relativist - things only have meaning when put into a context of many other things. So I am going to start a little ways back. I have owned very, very expensive cables, expensive cables and cheap cables. Looking back I am rather disgusted at my own tomfoolery - as I really have no idea if cables work or not - and there were several years where I preferred my interconnects at 5 euro to them at 1000 euro. Or to say it in another way - I no longer care if or how cables work. But I do want to have a pleasant time, whilst listening.

I bought these cables as a result of Black Friday - and this inevitably gave delays. I am very bad at waiting - and if I ever buy anything again from Richard then I will willingly pay extra for expedited transport. But this also meant, that I was impatient when I went to work with listening to the cables.

My first thought after the first notes were "Gosh". Then I thought "Lush". After that there was "Slow" and after that "Fast". And then I thought how is this possible? My working hypothesis was - These cables accentuate what is: Slow passages become slow. Fast passages become fast. Melodic passages become melodic. ETC.

I left them on playing music, whilst I went shopping and walked the dog. And then back to serious business.

And something had happened whilst I was away. Because now they sounded bad. Flat. And something was missing. At such times I resort to Pink Noise Brown Noise and White Noise. I hate it when that happens: But a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

So the first day ended rather frustrated. In the middle of the night, I thought - we are going to take it slow from now on.

And things have actually been fine since.

I fitted them to my tube amplifier and I immediately heard a "big difference". There was quite simply more ..... of something or other. Not quite sure how to say it. More "Bloom". (Not euphonic as such - but just more music in the music, so to say.)

So I am very pleased.

I am still a cable-sceptic. I don't know if they burn in. I don't know if these cables will work for others. And I don't know if it is all in my imagination - that just needed something new to play with. But I am keeping them - and I am looking forward to later in the day hearing more music in my music.

More is sometimes better than less.
I am not a number. I am a free man