U.F.O's

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: U.F.O's

Unread post by CycleCoach »

"Good" and "Evil" are arbitrary constructs of the human mind. In actual fact neither exists, just our perception of them.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

We construct these dichotomies as we are part of the system we have to apply its rules. Hot and Cold exist or are we inventing that.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

hillsanddalesrover wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:42 pm Surely the good/bad and hot/cold argument just gives us points of reference ?

If we need bad to enable good why are you trying to change Marco ? ;)
I am not trying to change Marco, I presume that is impossible, I am taking the piss out of him and winding him up AND hopefully showing him up to others as to what he is = sub human.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Hot and cold are relatives. Put one hand in a bowl of cold water, the other in hot and then put them both in warm water and see what happens.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Lurcher300b wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:49 pm Ok, just for the moment ignoring all your list apart from one pair.

hot/cold - what is that, there is no hot or cold, there is just higher or lower temperature, they are not opposite, they are just different amounts of heat.

Your list is just words that we apply, the duality is because of language, not reality.
Each of those dichotomies is a line and as individuals we sit at a point on it with our perceptions, so everything is judged in the same way. I don't know what is infinite cold, it is said absolute zero, can we go beyond that. Is there an ultimate hot, different stars are hotter than our sun, so what is the limit, is it back to being infinite.

Try telling me what cold is if we were all in the universe at the same temp, that is the point. We create dichotomies and we have dichotomies applied to us, they both exist in our reality. If there was no dichotomy it wouldn't exist. Show me something that doesn't have a conceptual opposite apart from a *thing*.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

CycleCoach wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:22 pm Hot and cold are relatives. Put one hand in a bowl of cold water, the other in hot and then put them both in warm water and see what happens.
Don't you see, that is the point! That is why the dichotomy exists.

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

"Hot and Cold exist or are we inventing that."

They are just human constructs like left and right, up and down, good and evil. What exists is temperature, as in the rate the atoms are vibrating, there is no negative temperature. In the same way there is mass 1Kg of protons has the same mass as 1kg of anti protons. Everything about an anti proton is the same as a proton apart from its charge and magnetic moment, its not some mystical inverse as you may be imagining. Its just a different collection of quarks. There is no anti mass or anti gravity, or anti temperature. We are not catching up on anything from thousands of years ago, its just the old mystical ideas are becoming popular again and people are trying to give them extra credence by trying to find parallels in science.

Lurcher300b

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:28 pm
Lurcher300b wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:49 pm Ok, just for the moment ignoring all your list apart from one pair.

hot/cold - what is that, there is no hot or cold, there is just higher or lower temperature, they are not opposite, they are just different amounts of heat.

Your list is just words that we apply, the duality is because of language, not reality.
Each of those dichotomies is a line and as individuals we sit at a point on it with our perceptions, so everything is judged in the same way. I don't know what is infinite cold, it is said absolute zero, can we go beyond that. Is there an ultimate hot, different stars are hotter than our sun, so what is the limit, is it back to being infinite.

Try telling me what cold is if we were all in the universe at the same temp, that is the point. We create dichotomies and we have dichotomies applied to us, they both exist in our reality. If there was no dichotomy it wouldn't exist. Show me something that doesn't have a conceptual opposite apart from a *thing*.
Just words with no real meaning. Arrogant monkey minds wanting to believe our myths have some deeper connection to reality.

Lurcher300b

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:29 pm
CycleCoach wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:22 pm Hot and cold are relatives. Put one hand in a bowl of cold water, the other in hot and then put them both in warm water and see what happens.
Don't you see, that is the point! That is why the dichotomy exists.
But don't you see? There is no dichotomy in reality, there is no hot or cold (or spoon :-)), our minds are built it seems to try and see dichotomy everywhere, so we do, but that doesn’t make it a feature of reality, just a feature of our perceptions.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Hot: What do you mean by hot? Do you mean a temperature greater than you find comfortable?
Let us assume that you find 40℃ Hot. The Celsius temperature scale has 0℃ set as the melting point of Ice (the triple point of water) but the Kelvin scale has zero set at a point where all atomic movement stops so your 40℃ is ≈313K. Both the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales are based on human observations at the time.
Cold: What do you consider cold? Probably anything you find uncomfortably low?
Assuming that you find ice cold that is 0℃ or ≈273K so on one scale it looks quite hot but we describe it as cold.

Conclusion, Hot and Cold are relative but in practice any temperature above 0K is simply a measure of the activity of atoms, we know it as heat.