Very Long Interconnects/Where to begin

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Very Long Interconnects/Where to begin

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It can have one or two power supplies the size of a BMU (built in the same case). It will work on the standard PSUs, but that would be like having the Mink Coat and wearing no knickers.

In many ways the Phono 3 if it goes into production is a Black Box version of the TAS.

dwhistance
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by dwhistance »

I thought I should report back as thanks to EvilC I have now had a chance to listen to a few of his NVA amps and cables. Amps used were a Mk1 A30 and Mk2 A80's (we skipped the A60 he also had available!), interconnects were SC and TIS, speaker cables LS3 and LS6. P90SA pre and Epos ES14 speakers remained consistent throughout. The sound was excellent to start and just got better and more "real" as each piece was upgraded. A particular surprise was the change from LS3 to LS6 loudspeaker cables when we were still using the A30 and SC's - with the change of speaker cables there was suddenly much more depth and more details were revealed, it was not subtle at all! Thanks again to EvilC for such an excellent demonstration of what you have all been telling me.

I now need to try some NVA in my own system to see how it works here. My plan is to start with cables so I can get them "run in" before I try the amps (although I must admit I was lucky enough to pick up a P50SA at a good price on Ebay recently but I'll hold onto that until I can try it with some NVA power amps). To that end Doc would you please put up a 9m pair of SSC on Ebay which will deal with the long interconnects for between the pre/power amps? The shorter ones I need are all standard items so are already on Ebay. Re speaker cables I'm going to go straight for LS6 but need an unequal length set, 1.5m on one side and between 3.5m and 4m on the other, how do I purchase these?

David Whistance

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You order at 2.5m set and ask for the split length, and remind me.

I will put a 9m of SC up set up at ebay.

dwhistance

Hello Doc, just to let you know that I've placed the order on Ebay with a note on the split length speaker cables. I've left the order as courier delivery but provided I'm not too busy when the cables are completed would prefer to pick them up myself if thats OK? Perhaps you could let me know when it's all nearing completion and we can organise delivery then?

David Whistance

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Week to ten days build time queue at the moment.

dwhistance

That's great, thank you. There's no rush, particularly as I will be away in Norfolk with the family from 29 August to 3 September.

David Whistance

dwhistance

Having ordered the cables and picked them up from the Doc it took me a few weeks to get round to putting them into my system. However they have now been playing fairly constantly for a couple of weeks so it's time for a write up. Being somewhat anal by nature I introduced them one at a time so that I could hear the differences.

First up was a short length (40cm) of SSC between the tuner and preamp replacing a similar length of mid price QED, straight away there was a much fuller sound, more bass, more extended treble, more music.

Next was 80cm of SSP between my DAC and preamp in this case replacing 1m of Hovland cable which was, and I think still is, very well thought of in "hi-fi" circles and was fairly pricey in its day. The effect was just the same as with the SSC, fuller sound, more bass, more extended treble, more musical, however in this case I must admit I was surprised as the Hovland unlike the QED is a good cable to start with so the effect shouldn't have been so pronounced. I'm impressed!

Next was the 9m of SC between the pre and power amps which replaced a 2m set of Hovland. In this case there was essentially no change, however given the very long length of SC compared with the Hovland and bearing in mind that 9m of SC now costs less than half of what just 1m of Hovland cost 17 years ago I think that puts its performance in perspective!

Last was the LS6 which replaced a "cheap" set of Monster speaker cables I had been using simply because they were long enough and slim enough to allow them to run under the carpet pending the long interconnects. In this case there was absolutely no contest, the sound which was OK but a bit veiled expanded and filled out. There was now a real soundstage. Suddenly and surprisingly there was now real, well controlled bass and there were details everywhere that I used to hear from a previous "megabucks" system and had more or less given up on with my current lesser components. If I hadn't heard it myself I wouldn't have believed that a cable, particularly one carrying fairly high level signals, could make such a huge difference, simply astounding! It should be said that initially the bass sounded a bit "detached" and somewhat bloated but with burn in it has melded very nicely with the rest. I have owned some very expensive and well regarded speaker cables in the past including top end Nordost and Hovland and have never heard anything like this, LS6 is incredible!

As you will gather from the above I am very, very happy with my new cables. They have essentially given me a whole new system and one I am really enjoying listening to. Of course I am now wondering what improvement I would get if I changed the long interconnects from SC to SSC or even SSP, the DAC to preamp interconnect to TIS (I have seen the classifieds and am very tempted) and the tuner interconnect to SSP. I also need to deal with my record player as for some reason I completely forgot to get an interconnect for the phono amp to the preamp and, given the success of the other cables, am interested to know what the Doc's thoughts are for a tonearm cable to the phono pre.

Lastly many thanks to the Doc for his hospitality when I picked up the cables and for patiently answering all of my stupid questions. When I arrived he was having one of those difficult days we all get from time to time but he was very courteous and helpful despite having some pressing problems to deal with.

David Whistance

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Nice write up David. It would be easy to check out the difference between SSC and SSP on your tuner. The Doc doesn't make tonearm cables although SC has been recommended before, sure he will be back to verify this. :think:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I verify it.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

When I was young and stupid - I ran the brand-new NVA A40 (mk1 stereo) I had just bought with a pair of original 1980's 200-strand Monster cables, which were the bee's knees back then.

The amp ran rather warm (hot underneath) and this was worrying. Replacing the monsters with 2.5mm solid-core copper electrical installation wire improved the performance, didn't worry the amp (it ran for 25+ years on that) and sounded far cleaner and more dynamic than the american multi-core monstrosity.

And yes, LS6 is a revelation! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450