Can this be doped ?

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Can this be doped ?

Unread post by karatestu »

I will give those things a go doc, thanks.

Hey Daniel. Hope you are progressing well with your recovery - our thoughts are with you. I am sure you will be messing with hifi before too long :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Put some more bison kit on the mid/bass drivers. Will give it a week to go off before firing them up.

May have an air leak :( . Must be around the drivers as everywhere else is sealed with silicone.

Good job I have the cuboid 3's to enjoy whilst waiting ;)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Revisiting these speakers after letting the last layer of bison kit go off.

They sound a little better now with more bass content but still too much mid range. More bison kit doping required I think.

I am now off to pour some more on. Padding resistor for tweeter is going to be tried as well. :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Can you have too much dope :mrgreen: :banana-stoner:

karatestu
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:47 pm Can you have too much dope :mrgreen: :banana-stoner:
From memory I think it is when you go white, feel feint and have to have a good lie down for half an hour.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

How many days must i wait for a layer of bison kit to go off before listening ? Getting impatient :naughty:
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

When it no longer moves through the force of gravity.

karatestu
Great Britain

Listening to them now. That's much better, bass is more prominent now. It still needs a padding resistor on the tweeter I think. Not a patch on the Marantz speakers.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Up date on these.

Months back I went too far with the bison kit doping so with them being aluminium continuous profile cones I thought I would put the speakers on their backs and soak the bison kit in white spirits. Left it a week and I managed to remove it without damaging the cone :dance:

They have been sat since I did that months ago, unloved and forgotten. Anyway last week I decided to take a different approach. Sprayed the mid bass with plasidip and left it at that. The tweeter is already doped on the inside with plastidip. 3.3uf Russian pio cap remains along with a 3r9 resistor.

Put the speakers back in to the system yesterday for a try out. Was not expecting much. This time I have them much nearer the wall. Anyway, they are very addictive even though I need to do more to them. They are the tightest speakers I have ever heard, remarkably so - all that steel has definitely done the trick. Moving them nearer the wall has increased bass but they still are a bit light - maybe this is not fair as I am no longer listening to the box singing and I am used to my big isobaric bass cubes. The clarity of all the frequencies is wonderful :grin:

Also I think the resistor needs to go as the treble is a bit quiet. Might play with cap size as well. Plastidip only has had a surprising effect on things.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I've been chatting to the Elac-TDL/Musical Technology driver designer and he tells me that metal cones can't be damped in quite the same way and as easily as a paper or woven plastic style cone can apparently. Metal cones seemingly are linear until they let go at high frequencies and then they go big time in a tin can kind of way, in such a way as you can't damp the resonance very well I'm told - don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger - ...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...