Traffic Nightmare

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Traffic Nightmare

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

George Hincapie wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:16 pm
CycleCoach wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:36 pm How about starting off with everyone pulling over to the left hand lane once they've overtaken and perhaps having sections of "no overtaking for HGVs" on busy roads?
Absolutely this. Just drove back to a family visit near Ipswich; lane discipline is shocking. No-one seems to want to move back into Lane 1 any more...
There is a reason, HGVs are limited to 56 MPH effectively turning lane 1 into a slow lane. As changing lanes is the most dangerous manoeuvre on a motorway, staying in lane 2 when there are HGVs within about 1/2 mile makes a lot of sense. On some motorways that would mean using lane 1 for entry and exit only because of the volume of HGVs.

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

No we don't. Also, services and activities vital to the country as a whole - the national interest- should be independent of party politics - protected against ever changing political dogma such as the current reactionary Brexit chlorinated chicken munchers....

Set-up a politically neutral team of experts with an agreed set of aims to be delivered over a 25 year period or such like. Properly metricised and accountable.

savvypaul wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:22 am We don't invest enough in our infrastructure. Roads, rail, Internet, housing. All well behind much of the rest of Europe. We prefer to cut corporation tax from 30% to 17%...
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:50 pm
CycleCoach wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:36 pm How about starting off with everyone pulling over to the left hand lane once they've overtaken and perhaps having sections of "no overtaking for HGVs" on busy roads?
Absolutely this. Just drove back to a family visit near Ipswich; lane discipline is shocking. No-one seems to want to move back into Lane 1 any more...
There is a reason, HGVs are limited to 56 MPH effectively turning lane 1 into a slow lane. As changing lanes is the most dangerous manoeuvre on a motorway, staying in lane 2 when there are HGVs within about 1/2 mile makes a lot of sense. On some motorways that would mean using lane 1 for entry and exit only because of the volume of HGVs.
Not a valid reason. It is a dreadful habit and contrary to the Highway Code. It also increases congestion in lanes 2 and 3 unnecessarily. Unless you are overtaking then you ought to be in Lane 1.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I agree George.
It works perfectly well in Germany (where potentially the speed difference is even greater) as far more people follow the rules and pull in. They also let you out if they can see you need to overtake.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

George Hincapie wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:17 pm
Geoff.R.G wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Not a valid reason. It is a dreadful habit and contrary to the Highway Code. It also increases congestion in lanes 2 and 3 unnecessarily. Unless you are overtaking then you ought to be in Lane 1.
I didn't say it was but that is what happens. I rarely find a motorway where I can get into lane 1 because I find myself in lane 3 passing all the people in lane 2 who won't move into lane 1 because they are marginally faster than the HGVs. I actually find the M11 to be amongst the worst for lane discipline, had one driver who wouldn't go beyond lane 2 and thus constantly changed speed, I got to the point where I had no option but to pass in lane 1 as it was moving faster than said driver, and the traffic in lane 2, didn't see them again after that.