Stager Silver Solids reworked

A place for DIY project discussions.
TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Re: Stager Silver Solids reworked

Unread post by TheMadMick »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I really must be going deaf here but here's my own take on any sonic changes over the first few hours. My TIS didn't have a 'sound' at all when I got it fresh from the Doc's soldering iron (I watched it cut from the drum, stripped and constructed...). The cheaper SSP2 offers the 'precision' and a slightly 'bigger' sound over the SSC, which itself fleshes things more than the basic SC does and I think the SSP2 remains a fantastic 'value' interconnect if a £200 collection of wires can be classes that way, but the TIS just seems to pull it all together better, and nothing in my stereos could be said to be 'front rank.' I honestly can't say it 'runs in' at all, but I'll tell you one thing - once used for a week or so, it's very difficult to live without once it's taken from the system and it's helped to 'save' the digital side of my workroom stereo ;)
It may be that my mains problem is hiding the full capability of TIS. However, the bass is still "plummy" but improving all the time. The stereo image and definition are to die for. Anything like this is a set of compromises. It's which suits you best and what you can afford. I don't think the TIS is going back. As you rightly say, living without it would be difficult and it's always more obvious going back to where you were. Happy days. :mrgreen:
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It will come on song be patient.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The TIS go far lower than most interconnects what you are hearing is probably system set up, move your speakers further away from the wall. You probably had them that far back to balance that cable.

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:The TIS go far lower than most interconnects what you are hearing is probably system set up, move your speakers further away from the wall. You probably had them that far back to balance that cable.
Thanks for the advice.

The speakers are set up according to the Audio Physic methodology and it has given excellent results with most everything else. I find when the speakers move back towards the wall the stereo image falls into a "flat wallpaper" - the depth and a bit of the height simply disappear. It may be they need a little adjustment but it ain't half awkward on your own with floor standers.

As is often the case after comment, the bass is starting to come good. Another 24 hours on the tuner and a quick system warm up and we should be there with any luck. Hey ho. Such is the fun of HiFi - hope the BMU arrives tomorrow. I can't wait to see what it does.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Cock up on BMU UPS didn't collect, hopefully tomorrow, but we have the gas mains up all down our street with big trucks sucking out the holes* and UPS couldn't get in. If they can't get in tomorrow I will have to take the parcels waiting to the depot at Dartford.

* Been watching, bloody great truck blocking the road, like great big hoover. No more Irish with shovels, just these big trucks.

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Thanks for the info Doc. Force Majeure.

Just shows. There were advantages to Irish Navvies :lol:

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Cock up on BMU UPS didn't collect, hopefully tomorrow, but we have the gas mains up all down our street with big trucks sucking out the holes* and UPS couldn't get in. If they can't get in tomorrow I will have to take the parcels waiting to the depot at Dartford.

* Been watching, bloody great truck blocking the road, like great big hoover. No more Irish with shovels, just these big trucks.
Looks like the trucks have moved or you've been on the road. Got notification of dispatch.

Thanks Doc.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No it means it is packed and I have to take it to Dartford. So Thursday delivery.

It has been worse today as they are doing our house, horrible stink, garden dug up. The work gang are all from Durham and they work anywhere in the country on contract, stay down as a group in a cheap block booked hotel and back home for the weekend.

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:No it means it is packed and I have to take it to Dartford. So Thursday delivery.
And it arrived. It's bloody heavy - mind you, I didn't know what to expect!! Initial impressions are good. I assume it needs a bit of running in like everything else. However, it hasn't got rid of the upper mid band hardness. TIS is back on the tuner although the bass is loosening up.

Have a good one and I hope the navvies move on soon!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The transformer in the BMU needs to run in, give it a week to come on song musically.

I still think you need to move your speakers.

We lost all our gas today as they threaded a plastic pipe through the old cast iron pipe.