Pioneer PL-71 Refurbishment

A place for DIY project discussions.
Quarknosis

Pioneer PL-71 Refurbishment

Unread post by Quarknosis »

Here are some pictures of the PL-71 as received from savvypaul.

The aptly named dustlid was missing it's hinge fixings, I've already ordered a replacement set.

The immediate problem looks like it is going to be the stains on the wood at the edge of the plinth and the front face. I'll have to get some advice on how best to deal with these issues

The strobe light is working and the trim pots haven't drifted out much, on both speeds they give correct speeds at around 60% of their travel. Speed itself looks stable by the strobe. No immediate need to be changing capacitors but something to keep in mind for a later date.

I have briefly tried Denon DL-110 and Nagaoka MP-110 cartridges both sounding very good when using the overhang gauge to set them up.

The armlift will need some attention as it drops like a stone when released, I should have some silicone oil in the garage to service it. As I tend to hand cue this isn't a major problem but something I would like to get right.

I haven't had chance to have a good look at the spring feet yet, one of them is sitting higher than the rest, but they look as though they should be adjustable.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Re: Pioneer PL-71 Refurbishmant

Unread post by TheMadMick »

It might be worth trying some steel wool on the stained parts and then finish the top in a hard wax like Treatex. It will always come off again with white spirit and steel wool. However, the Treatex is quite expensive and comes in quite large volumes - enough to do many deck tops. :-?

Hope this helps?
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Quarknosis

TheMadMick wrote:It might be worth trying some steel wool on the stained parts and then finish the top in a hard wax like Treatex. It will always come off again with white spirit and steel wool. However, the Treatex is quite expensive and comes in quite large volumes - enough to do many deck tops. :-?

Hope this helps?
Thank you for the info.

I passed up the chance to get some steel wool on the way home from savvypauls as it was graded as coarse, even though it look to be finer to me. I'll look into the cost of the Treatex
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jayman67 »

a word of caution,the plinth may have lightened or darkened with age,so any sanding may make the stained areas a different colour.is the stain water damage ?

i would strip the plinth with paint stripper first and see how it looks when wiped with meths or white spirit,you may get the stains out with the stripper. :guiness;
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Quarknosis

Re: Pioneer PL-71 Refurbishment

jayman67 wrote:a word of caution,the plinth may have lightened or darkened with age,so any sanding may make the stained areas a different colour.is the stain water damage ?

i would strip the plinth with paint stripper first and see how it looks when wiped with meths or white spirit,you may get the stains out with the stripper. :guiness;
Thanks Jayman,

is something like Nitro-morse ok in this sort of situation or would it require something gentler? I've got some for another project for stripping some varnish so I could use that if it's going to be ok, otherwise I have another brand of stripper (can't remember which right now) which does the job but seems less effective.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Nitromors should be fine although the modern "safe" stuff is pretty shite compared to the original.
I take it that you are dismantling the TT to do this?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The plinth is solid wood is it not . It seems to me that the only way to do it would be to sand it back to bare wood and restain it , anything else is likely to look patchy .

Quarknosis

zebbo wrote:Nitromors should be fine although the modern "safe" stuff is pretty shite compared to the original.
I take it that you are dismantling the TT to do this?
Daniel Quinn wrote:The plinth is solid wood is it not . It seems to me that the only way to do it would be to sand it back to bare wood and restain it , anything else is likely to look patchy .
Yes I will have to dismantle the TT because whether stripping or sanding I wouldn't want to cause any damage to the plastic and metal parts. I'll find out if the plinth is solid when I do this, pictures that I have checked have been inconclusive but there's definitely some plywood in the construction, whether that includes the plinth or not time will tell.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

The plinth is walnut veneered plywood (looks to be marine grade) but the veneer is commercial grade so 0.6mm thick, be careful as it won't take too much sanding.

A very light sanding with 600/1000 grade paper should be all that's required and then use a Danish oil to finish it. The Danish oil will protect the veneer layer and bring out the natural colour.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Why not sand the wood down smooth then prime it and finish with a few coats of Black followed by a clear gloss lacquer. (preferably using a spray) Otherwise obtain a real wood veneer of choice and re-cover it. Finish with clear varnish or oil.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)