How Not To Die

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: How Not To Die

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Lurcher300b wrote:I would have thought a better question is "How To Live?", if the only point of life is to avoid dying, then that’s not that much of a reason to be IMHO.
I really enjoy my life.
I want to carry on living in good health as long as possible.

For me it makes a lot of sense to take an objective look at my lifestyle, especially my eating habits, to see what I can do to maximise my chances of living in good health for as long as possible. That's assuming that the suggested course of action, or adjustments to my lifestyle are not too onerous.

From reading this book (I've now gotten as far as the start of Part 2) I can see that there are a few positive changes I can make without any difficulty whatsoever.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I don't think vegans will live longer - IT WILL JUST FEEL LIKE IT !!!
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Lindsayt wrote:
Lurcher300b wrote:I would have thought a better question is "How To Live?", if the only point of life is to avoid dying, then that’s not that much of a reason to be IMHO.
From reading this book (I've now gotten as far as the start of Part 2) I can see that there are a few positive changes I can make without any difficulty whatsoever.
Eat a bit less meat, eat more veg, fruit and nuts, but please don't believe the "TOTAL" :Bllocks: because it could potentially make your life a nightmare.

Feeling guilty about what you eat is one of the worst side effects of the modern world.

I often deal with athletes with disordered eating habits based upon "things they've read." They all think that they are lactose/gluten/carb intolerant and statistically it's more than very likely that they aren't. It's just a scam/setup to make them feel worse about themselves.

Be happy=Be healthy. 8-)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Lindsayt
Nauru

zebbo wrote:I don't think vegans will live longer - IT WILL JUST FEEL LIKE IT !!!
Reading the start of Part 2 of this book and I think that Dr Michael Greger is taking a pragmatic, practical approach.

He's proposing a move to a (much) MORE vegan diet (as I said in the OP of this thread) and more exercise for the average American / person with a Western lifestyle.

He does not expect you to move to a TOTALLY vegan diet.

I love eating raw fruit. Always have done. Always will. I intend eating more of it than I have been doing.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I will continue on the way I have always done - nothing to excess. I've always eaten fruit and veg, not because it's good for me but because I like it. I also like meat, fish&chips, chinese, crisps, sweets and red wine, just not every day, or in the case of the take-aways not every week.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The book is bollocks . Were is the evidence that a move towards a more vegan diet will make you live longer .

How do you isolate the consequences of eating meat , from exercise , poverty , dna , stress , employment , relationships , alcohol consumption and a million other things that form individual aspects of each person life .

You are better off turning to God . ;)
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Daniel Quinn wrote:The book is bollocks . Were is the evidence that a move towards a more vegan diet will make you live longer .

How do you isolate the consequences of eating meat , from exercise , poverty , dna , stress , employment , relationships , alcohol consumption .

You are better of turning to God . ;)
Have you read it?

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I don't need to , I am not the one peddling shite on the forum . If you wish to propagate bollocks then I suggest you put forward a better case than "it says so in a book" .

What you are saying is the equivalent of saying a £19,000 dac is worth the money .

Over to you , convince the readership a vegan diet will make you live longer.
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Everything in moderation.

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

antonio66 wrote:Everything in moderation.
Especially moderation. Some time excess is good.