Did anyone have audiolab before Nva?

All things NVA
Leeorton45
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Did anyone have audiolab before Nva?

Unread post by Leeorton45 »

I'm new to nva, I have audiolab 8000 MX x4 a bte designs passive with a roksan caspian mseries2 d player and chord cable, with proac studio 140mk2 speakers.

I feel like I'm missing something with the music. That's why I'm thinking about moving to nva The passive was the best upgrade I'd ever made.

Has any one else moved away from audiolab to nva?

Why did you do it and what was it like?

Jonty2547

Re: Did anyone have audiolab before Nva?

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

Not that it really answers your question, but Audiolab was next on my list to audition after having Arcam, Musical Fidelity and Croft.
For one reason or another i dipped my toe into NVA waters and lets say i'm no longer looking at anything else :mrgreen:
As far as i'm concerned i'm missing nothing :guiness;
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I'm sure George Hincapie had audiolab. No doubt he will be along to give you his opinion at some point.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Leeorton45

Thanks guys.

I look forward to his input.

The principles of nva and the design concept are what I'm looking for. The logic fits what I've seen and what I've concluded to be what is needed.

What I've learned in the last twenty five years as an engineer and working with my own hifi have left me kind of feeling that the main stream hifi industry is short changing its customers.

Sound design and quality components leads to a good sound.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I too have never owned an Audiolab component, but I WAS an insatiable box-swapper, (which was enjoyable in it's own way), but no more. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

walterwhite
Wales

Unread post by walterwhite »

I had an Audiolab pre/power combo in the early nineties (before Chinese ownership) until I changed (back) to NVA around 2012 ish. I think they were designated as 8000p and 8000a IIRC - cost about £1200 in 1993. I was very happy with them during that time. I thought it was a very decent set-up with my Monitor Audio R325's . My brother has them now and he's pretty pleased with them too.

I now have the set-up you can see in my signature and, in my opinion, it's a massive upgrade. I think I'd prefer any NVA amp over the Audiolabs, but I can listen to the Audiolabs quite happily too :guiness;
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.

walterwhite
Wales

walterwhite wrote:I think they were designated as 8000p and 8000a IIRC
Edit to the above: it was an 8000c pre, not a. Don't seem to be able to edit the post directly.
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.

Leeorton45

Thanx walterwhite. You are right with the designations.

It's good you can go back to audiolab and still listen to them.

My son has an 8000Q and two 8000Ps.

The thing with my 8000MX set up is that they are not the standard stock items. They are heavily modded.

The bit I feel I'm missing is an open and airy top end. I've got truck loads of bass which is tight and detailed but lack the top end. On first sight you'd say ah, too much bass, drawning out the top end, but I'm thinking electrical interaction with the passive pre and chord cables combined with the mods.

It may be time for a clean slate approach hence why I'm here!

What's the opinion of the group here? Help needed!!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well my opinion is buy the starter system as advertised at ebay, P20, A20 plus free cables, it will cost you £300. Even at this level it will tell you what it is all about, what is going on. It is peanuts for what it does, and is a base to trade up from and *explore* the process of what the more expensive product will give you extra. OR just stay there, and I would bet even if you stay with it you will sell the Audiolab.

walterwhite
Wales

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Well my opinion is buy the starter system as advertised at ebay, P20, A20 plus free cables, it will cost you £300. Even at this level it will tell you what it is all about, what is going on. It is peanuts for what it does, and is a base to trade up from and *explore* the process of what the more expensive product will give you extra. OR just stay there, and I would bet even if you stay with it you will sell the Audiolab.
+1 to the above. one of my best friends has a baby NVA integrated (AP20?.. same size box as the phono 2) with Mk1 Rega Elas and it really does show it's roots in the NVA heritage. Try the starter set-up and send it back if you don't like it :grin: