Darius: Excess of Bass or Excess of Ass

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Darius: Excess of Bass or Excess of Ass

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

H/S as for years been pointing out carpology in hifi speak , which is essentially bollocks meaningless language to describe differences in hifi. Now Darius seems to think an “excess of bass” is self explanatory so for fun I shall engage in an exercise of semantic investigation.

I really could not give a monkeys if he likes the cubes or not , it's his loss in my opinion. But what I do care about is an accurate exposition of what he was hearing and why he was hearing it .

So he says

there’s excess of bass no matter what + is uncontrolled, slow and spoils the midrange..
it feels like the bass wants to do all but excel at nothing: there’s rumble and it affects midrange badly

He elaborates
What is an excess of bass?"
my friend, excess is "an amount of something that is more than necessary or desirable" and this easily understood and not needing explanation I guess. The cubes are not producing balanced sound as there's excess of bass that goes right to the midrange and ruin vocals and with a bass heavy music there's undefined rumble and far from tuneful, controled or agile bass.

Once again is elaboration is patronising and unhelpful . Everyone knows what excess is .

So , for him the cubes had two much bass . Now bass is one of those bollocks words in hifi and is often used to ask stupid questions you will find over hifi fora “ recommend me a speaker cable that will give me more bass”

As we all know it means low frequency sounds . But what frequency . There is no standard definition and it usually incorporates frequencies from 20hz to 350Hz.

So logically , an excess of bass must mean an excess of output from the speakers at these frequencies . Trouble is this covers an awful lot of music , from Mike Rutherford’s bass guitar on in the cage , to Collins drums , to some of Gabriel’s lyrics .

So, If I am hearing speakers with an excess of output at these frequencies then surely it would manifest itself in what I hear and I would be able to describe it ? And how does an excess of output between 20hz and 350hz effect the frequencies above ?

There are two possibilities . The excess of bass is inherent to the cubes or that it is a combination of the signal it is being fed and in room response. The cubes are omnidirectional and thus placement is important .

But there is no detail of what he placed them on , size of the room , bay window , experimentation with placement , distance from the wall .

What we have is Darius lazy mealy mouthed impressions of the cubes and an attempt to portray the issues he experienced with them as an inherent problem and to top it off , they may if you are not careful kill your children .

So , do me a favour ,he did not present a fair and balanced view , he presented a load of clap trap to justify his personal choices and it did this by using a whole host of meaningless hifi crapologyy

Please feel free to disagree ;)

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Darius: Excess of Bass or Excess of Ass

Unread post by George Hincapie »

A lot of HFS members own Cubes. Why has no-one ever raised this as an issue? Doc would know better than anyone else; how many pairs of Cubes has he sold and how many times has this been a complaint from the buyer?

Like any other speaker, Cubes are pretty easy to position if you follow the Doc's guide. If Darius considers there to be an excess of bass, then clearly he can't have positioned them properly. Or he's making mischief. But either way, I don't think that as a community we should allow this to become personal; we're better than that surely?

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Just a small point, but I think 350Hz is much higher than most would call bass, to me its in the middle of the midrange. Probably a higher higher pitch tone that most people imagine. Musically its the F above middle C.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I used that particular pair of speakers in three rooms here... DQ, have you tried Cube 2's at home? Maybe of you had, you could have given him some constructive advice instead of dismissing his comments out of hand. They're not the same presentation as the same size drivers in the B&W shells I have here, although the assertive balance in the upper mids remains - I love it, but it isn't always an easy ride...

My advice was to give them time, in other words, a few days away from the AVI's to work their particular kind of magic. To condemn such a different product in just a few minutes isn't really fair - and I've done this myself in the past. I KNOW how good this particular pair of Cube 2's can sound, and went through much pain to get there with them and understand the concept a little better. On the other hand, I've lived with actives for years and where I ignore Ash's puff about how original ADM9's beat all the big ATC's I owned, loved and sold twenty years ago, I do respect the principle - and that the designer is a very talented individual with electronic circuits - and stability/immunity at rf frequencies is a speciality of his I remember...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

joe

Unread post by joe »

Daniel Quinn wrote: So logically , an excess of bass must mean an excess of output from the speakers at these frequencies . Trouble is this covers an awful lot of music , from Mike Rutherford’s bass guitar on in the cage , to Collins drums , to some of Gabriel’s lyrics .
And music doesn't get much more awful than Genesis!

Daniel Quinn

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I used that particular pair of speakers in three rooms here... DQ, have you tried Cube 2's at home? Maybe of you had, you could have given him some constructive advice instead of dismissing his comments out of hand. They're not the same presentation as the same size drivers in the B&W shells I have here, although the assertive balance in the upper mids remains - I love it, but it isn't always an easy ride...
No but I do of course have cube drivers .

and ffs , I did not dismiss his comments, I asked for an explanation of what he meant in typical DQ fashion :lol:

he said

a] I have not got the time

b] then bollocks .

Read the initial review , it is abundantly obvious it is neither fair or balanced or constructive . He got the response he deserved . I repeat child friendly corners WTF !! :angry-screaming:

And I will remind you what you said when you read the review "You didn't do what I suggested...."

Daniel Quinn

Having read the posts on packaging , I am getting an overwhelming sense of de ja vu .

what was the name of that member I had a go at and slinger and others jumped to his defence . And lo and behold he turned out to be a right knob .

I am annoyed I can't remember his name .

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Wouldn't be Fukwit by any chance...... :mrgreen:

Im getting that Feeling too...... ;)

Daniel Quinn

maybe , I am hoping slinger will remember , it was about 3-6 months ago .

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Having read the posts on packaging , I am getting an overwhelming sense of de ja vu .

what was the name of that member I had a go at and slinger and others jumped to his defence . And lo and behold he turned out to be a right knob .

I am annoyed I can't remember his name .
Back to excess Bass is it the size of room that can make a large speaker some excessive in say a small room , also most people have no experience of real deep bass and perhaps would not wont it in their home.