AVI vs...? bake off anyone?

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: AVI vs...? bake off anyone?

Unread post by Lindsayt »

darius-lpv wrote:
...value - Avi, brand new and complete ( just add source) system with no diy needed

so for me Avi is the winner: combination of price, sound and aesthetics...

On the price and value thing.
My understanding is that Darius paid £1750 for his DM10's plus sub plus stands.

I paid £600 for the EV Sentries III's plus repair parts plus Creek CAS4040 plus Denon C630 CD player plus all the cables. If I'd gotten someone to repair the EV Sentries for me that would have cost me an additional £200 at most. I'm not expecting any depreciation on this system.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

This seems to be the only dodgy thing that has emerged so far is the change of mind / interpretation of events with your bake-off Lyndsay, but it does point to other possible, how shall we call it - interferences :think:

Frasernash
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Frasernash »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I think you should all note that if this was a set up and scam it would be all over the AVi forum and What Hi-Fi forum, and I can't see it.

A little defense of Darius, I think he was pretty pissed off that a speaker broke a wire twice in transit, and I get the feel he was pretty bored of it all as his natural choice is for this modern way of everything in one box, so you just have the speakers, a digital musical source, and a remote control. I understand this.
Yes he stated his opinion and gave a good review and he also squared up to AVI on the finish of his cabinets which Martin sorted out for him after he complained he seems a decent chap who has been honest

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well neilwootton will have all the darius gear tomorrow, so the first thing we will find out is if it is all working as it should be, that takes away one excuse. Then we will see if he can set it up to sing.

darius-lpv

Unread post by darius-lpv »

you know what I did Richard? I've took the lid off, broke the amp, I've put the cubes upside down and behind the curtains, put some 40 years old cassette into not working deck and began listening...
I'm sure the man from grimsby can set them up to sing. I couldn't. It's my fault. Cubes are brilliant.

quick response to some of the posts:

my favourite: "What is an excess of bass?"
my friend, excess is "an amount of something that is more than necessary or desirable" and this easily understood and not needing explanation I guess. The cubes are not producing balanced sound as there's excess of bass that goes right to the midrange and ruin vocals and with a bass heavy music there's undefined rumble and far from tuneful, controled or agile bass. If you have any questions to that I'll try to answer.

another one: "So after all that in Darius's oppinion, his own AVI wins......... :doh: surprise"
just the same sort of surprise that in Lindsay's opinion his own EV won

next: "you have time to take up the courtesy of with a free trial of NVA equipment"
I've asked here for a bake-off. Richard responded straight away offering nva. great idea. he sent me cubes, amp and cables. 1 cube not working. repaired. still not working. at this point Indid not want waste his time anymore but he said something like: it's not a waste of time. repaired. so you know, I did not beg or ask for it. finally I was ready for the bake-off but once I've published my impressions Richard said: "can you pack it all up and I will arrange collection" errrr

this: "Just human nature, some people like toilet paper some people like vellum. I like to think we are the vellum and AoS is the toilet paper"
what's the problem with some of the audio makers? are they lost ability to cope with opinions?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That first paragraph is uncalled for Darius, I have not attacked you in any way. Please don't turn it into conflict with me.

Sorry I presumed your opinion was the end of it. It did seem and read pretty final, and the bake-off was off so to speak. There had been no mention of the bake-off since the first couple of posts.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

darius-lpv wrote:morning everyone..

bake off anyone?

I have AVI DM10 & BK Gemini II

I live in West Midlands
To be honest, I thought this would end up going sour....... :think:
Any AVI senior member and AVI owner waltsing onto a NVA forum with an opening post (above) like Darius's was always going to be....amusing. :mrgreen:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

darius-lpv wrote: ...another one: "So after all that in Darius's oppinion, his own AVI wins......... :doh: surprise"
just the same sort of surprise that in Lindsay's opinion his own EV won
I think I may need to restate exactly what I mean by systems winning bake-offs.

In terms of sound quality per lack of WAF the very clear winner of the EV vs AVI vs ATC bake-off was the AVI system.
On that basis there's no doubt that of the 3 systems the AVI's would be the best solution for most people, including yourself darius.

In terms of how realistic each system sounded with a grand piano, on the day, it was yourself darius that spoke for all 3 of us that summed up our thoughts when you said that the EV system was best at recreating the big box sound of this instrument.

With grand pianos being such an exacting instrument for hi-fi systems to recreate, any system that recreates this best is pretty much the de facto winner - in terms of sound quality.

At no point during the 6 hours of the bake-off did I hear you darius say that the AVI's sounded better than the EV's in any respect - apart from the smoothness of the AVI's.
This then may come down to personal taste. To my ears the smoothness of the AVI's made them sound relatively unrealistic. Live music of the sort being played at that bake-off does not sound smooth. The closest we got to playing a lullaby at that bake-off was Phil Collins In the Air Tonight.

Live music, peaking at volumes of 89 to 95 dbs - the sort of volumes we had at that bake-off - does not generally sound smooth. It sounds solid, attention grabbing.

If someone is the sort of person that wants listening to their hi-fi to be the equivalent of getting home from a hard days work and getting into a warm relaxing bath, then the AVI's will appeal to them more than the EV's.

This AVI midrange smoothness is the same sort of presentation that I get from my Bozak Symphonies. Where the Bozaks score is in their bass quality, which is better than the EV's and the AVI's with sub - and indeed the vast majority of hi-fi systems that have ever been made.

At the bake-off, I remarked more than once that I found the AVI's boring to listen to. I also remarked that the EV's were better at sounding as if the vocalists were there in the room singing to us. As well as the EV's having more drama at the crescendo to In The Air Tonight. As well as the EV's being better at recreating the echoey hall acoustics of the recording venue on the classical piece. So I don't see why there should be any suprise when I subsequently state publicly that the EV's won - in terms of sound quality.

One of the first tracks played at the bake-off was Steve Winwoods Higher Love. That is not smooth music. It's spiky, solid, dynamic, attention grabbing, get the pulse racing music.

At the bake-off, apart from the smoothness, you never identified any sonic area on any tracks where the AVI's sounded better. On top of that there's your assessment of the realism on piano. When combined with the email that you sent me on the day after the bake-off, I am a little bit surprised when you give the impression that you didn't think that the EV's had better overall sound quality. Better overall sound quality as in overall more realistic.

When you bear in mind the £600 cost I paid for the EV system with Creek amplifier, compared to the £1750 cost you paid for your AVI system, combined with the depreciation prospects, I can't explain why you would think that the AVI's won in terms of price and value?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Doc's original statement that all reviews are welcome - good, bad or indifferent - is where this thread should have ended.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

why is that "notsosavvypaul" ? ;)

all reviews are copied to a review thread which nobody comments on, this is a general thread open for comment.