Dinosaurs

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Dinosaurs

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The issue is not the ditching of the jack per se , it is using it to utilise a further revenue stream by not making the headphones free.

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I don't know why people are up in arms; just buy the adapter and use what headphones you like.

I am more bothered that people are using iPhones instead of Android devices which are superior in every way :whistle:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Adapter free is it ?

The very least you should expect from a £500 smart phone is that it comes equipped to be used with headphones at no extra cost.

Ukulele Sam
Great Britain

Unread post by Ukulele Sam »

I believe a lightning/3.5mm headphone jack adapter will be bundled with the new iPhone 7 but it all looks a bit clunky. Think they really want you to buy a pair of shiny new wireless 'Airpod' headphones at around £159 a pop :shock: - and the Apple fans will love them!!
Don't know what the benefits of lightning headphones are in terms of digital output over analogue but rumours of an Apple 'HD' screaming service killing off their iTunes downloads. Whatever, they will presumably make a packet from licencing, maybe enough to offset their Irish tax bill?

George Hincapie

Daniel Quinn wrote:Adapter free is it ?

The very least you should expect from a £500 smart phone is that it comes equipped to be used with headphones at no extra cost.
I don't know if it's bundled or not. If not then I doubt it'd be more than £10.

Using headphones with a telephone isn't obligatory. I'd rather they didn't supply headphones at all. The standard Apple ones are shit and leak audio everywhere.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

George Hincapie wrote:I am more bothered that people are using iPhones instead of Android devices which are superior in every way :whistle:
Not strictly audio but the Android App for the Allen and Heath Qu32 isn't a patch on the iPad App. The former is clunky and split over a couple of pages, the latter is actually better than using the surface of the mixer!

George Hincapie

Geoff! I didn't realise you were in Denham! You're like 20 mins from us.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Not strictly audio but the Android App for the Allen and Heath Qu32 isn't a patch on the iPad App. The former is clunky and split over a couple of pages, the latter is actually better than using the surface of the mixer!
The Qu32 comes bundled with that "official" iPad app (and at £2K plus so it should :lol: ) but I'm guessing that the Android version was put together without official access to the Qu32 firmware etc. just because someone, somewhere, had a Qu32 but didn't like Apple or simply wasn't prepared to buy an iPad when he already had a perfectly good Android device. Of course, Apple is also the accepted tablet interface for music making and unless more use is made of Android devices as DAWs etc. they will continue to lag behind in functionality and software diversity. Thank goodness Windoze doesn't suffer from the same lack of software.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

George Hincapie wrote:Geoff! I didn't realise you were in Denham! You're like 20 mins from us.
I have to live somewhere :grin:

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

slinger wrote:
Geoff.R.G wrote: Not strictly audio but the Android App for the Allen and Heath Qu32 isn't a patch on the iPad App. The former is clunky and split over a couple of pages, the latter is actually better than using the surface of the mixer!
The Qu32 comes bundled with that "official" iPad app (and at £2K plus so it should :lol: ) but I'm guessing that the Android version was put together without official access to the Qu32 firmware etc. just because someone, somewhere, had a Qu32 but didn't like Apple or simply wasn't prepared to buy an iPad when he already had a perfectly good Android device. Of course, Apple is also the accepted tablet interface for music making and unless more use is made of Android devices as DAWs etc. they will continue to lag behind in functionality and software diversity. Thank goodness Windoze doesn't suffer from the same lack of software.
Actually the iPad App add functionality, iPad three custom layers, surface one, iPad 12 soft keys, surface 10, there are other areas where using the iPad betters the experience of the using the mixer. I did suggest that it would be good if the settings could be stored on the iPad so that any user with one could simply log-on and have everything as they wanted but it isn't there yet. The custom layers are on the iPad though. I suspect you are right about the Android App, it comes at a cost too. I put it on my wife's Kindle Fire to have a play but decided that I would stick with the iPad.

Now that Apple have ditched the 3.5mm socket though, how will they innovate in terms of a wired headphone connection. I have never really liked the 3.5mm jack, too fragile and insubstantial. I have lost count of the number of reports I have seen of broken jacks in aircraft seats, something like the magsafe power connector would be good, anything that disconnects without damaging either side in fact.