NVA Cubettes

All things NVA
Ukulele Sam
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: NVA Cubettes

Unread post by Ukulele Sam »

Ah, ok hadn't spotted that, thanks for the link.

dalko1967

Unread post by dalko1967 »

Morning.
Can I order 1 pair in black. Could you send me a payments by PM.
Thanks
Wojtek
Micromega Stage5/Garrard DD75/A&R P77/NVA Phono 1/NVA AP30/NVA Cubettes/LS5/IC NVA SC/NVA AP10/Beyerdynamic DT 990

Ukulele Sam
Great Britain

Ok so had a bit of a a false start after the courier had decided to drop kick one of my Cubettes (hope he broke his toe) the speaker is back with a new driver and has been in situ for around a week.

First impressions? Early days and the speakers are not ideally placed, currently either side of my laptop on a desk - although I have just acquired a pair of stands. Moving to the Cubettes from a 'standard' pair of speakers was like moving from my old amp back to my NVA AP40ax. Music has a more realistic warmth and solidity and just feels more natural. They are weighty (physically and musically) for such a small box but the bass is tight (sealed box?). Plenty of detail going on and they are very clear and rhythmically right on the button.

The finish of the box is ok, quite like the wood but will probably finish off with a bit of very light sanding and some clear varnish or maybe just some Danish oil. Looking forward to seeing how they develop when properly positioned on the stands and closer to a wall but for now, I am very impressed. Reminds me a little of the time I went for an demo years ago and the dealer put on some Shahanian Arcs at the end. Didn't like everything they did but they were just 'right' and I left disappointed that I couldn't afford a pair. Well these sound right as well - hats off to you Doc, don't know how much longer you will make these but they represent stonking value for money and are a tremendous bargain for £270 delivered.

Will try and post more impressions and pictures (if I can work out how) when they have a few more hours on them. Not sure on next steps. Might change my ls2 for something further up the NVA range and a pre power perhaps (anyone using these with a30 or a40 monos?) but for now, just enjoying the music!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You had unfinished ones at £250 plus shipping. They are being made again as I thought I would have to stop doing them and will now only be done finished either in black or natural with Danish Oil - Price - £330.00 inc shipping.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I notice you are not too far away so you are welcome to try your cubettes with my A40s if you like?
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Also MK1 lives in Warrington and he has a pair of A70s. He has his name down on the demo thread so may also be worth contacting. I work with him so could send my A40s his way for you to try out.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I think I can vouch for the chap now making them, as he seemed a very sane and sensible (read CAREFUL) kind of individual when I met him, with a quiet and precise nature I thought :) His own Cube 1's sounded really good too imo...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Ukulele Sam
Great Britain

Yes I had heard that, legend says they call him 'The Builder' and when he makes an amp, they will Listen...looks a bit like Yoda I believe. :grin:

Thanks jimbob, that's an excellent idea, would definitely be up for that - could bring my little integrated along to compare. Will keep an eye on the demo thread and If ok, will be back in touch at some point to arrange something?
Thanks all,

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Absolutely bring whatever you want. Just let me know and we can sort something out.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Ukulele Sam wrote:Yes I had heard that, legend says they call him 'The Builder' and when he makes an amp, they will Listen...looks a bit like Yoda I believe. :grin:

Thanks jimbob, that's an excellent idea, would definitely be up for that - could bring my little integrated along to compare. Will keep an eye on the demo thread and If ok, will be back in touch at some point to arrange something?
Thanks all,
The chap making the Cubettes isn't the man who makes the smaller amps who isn't the man making the larger amps and all the cables ;) NVA is spreading out - be warned :grin:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...