prog rock

All music posts here please.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: prog rock

Unread post by slinger »

The Permed One wrote::lol: All the same people for crying out loud drop the Rock bit.. :roll:
I don't know where you were in the late sixties and early seventies but I remember buying, listening to, and discussing Progressive Rock.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

The Permed One
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by The Permed One »

Naughty Naughty
Chepooka ..'Rock' is the Genre of Music. 'Progressive' or just 'Prog' is the Sub-Genre. Tis one of the orders set down when you swear Allegiance to the almighty Prog, that a true Progger duth not use the two in unison. :naughty:

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Cause it's only knock and know-all but I like it.
(Collins/Gabriel/Rutherford)

Check out wikipedia for an extensive definition of 'Progressive Rock'.
That should be sufficient for most.
It is for me.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

The Permed One wrote:That is the subject. I is the Prog Expert. Permy does not like being told that bands are Prog when they aint. Like wise sneaky Table turning tactics

Just saying
Permy, your full of fukin :bulls1: ........ :mrgreen: :guiness;

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/pr ... ums-chart/

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Canada

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

slinger wrote:
I don't know where you were in the late sixties and early seventies but I remember buying, listening to, and discussing Progressive Rock.

You are going to have to give me some proof about this.

"Progressive" merely as an adjective was hardly used even into the early 70s - nevermind "progressive rock". I have MANY music catalogues going back to 1970 and the word just does not crop up as a selling term.

Documented proof of the words "progressive rock" being used in late 60's would be found on:
a/ lp liner notes
b/ music mags of the period
c/ recorded radio programs like Peel
d/ concert posters

You agree prog came out of blues and psych.
The first official album to include the word "psychedelic" in the liner notes is The Deep. (And I believe also on the first 13 Floor Elevators, but don't quote me.)
That is 1966. So then there is no way we need look earlier than '66 for the term "progressive music/rock". I think we agree on this at least.

Now, the first acknowledged mention of the word "progressive" linked to music was by a BRITISH magazine (or paper - I forget) and it was in the context of progressive-POP. They were describing a baroque-pop lp called "Pet Sounds". This also was '66. But this is nowhere near the true progressive-sound which would have started in '67.
"Court of the Crimson King" is generally agreed by pretty-well most all as being the first clearly prog lp (all the way thru).
Some say it is The Nice 'Ars Longa Vita Brevis" and there is a convincing arguement that it may even be - NOT a UK band - but America's band, Touch.

I can give you release dates for these lps and others that have been linked to "firsts" (such as the "Simon Simopath" lp) but that would not prove anything other than the SOUND was there in '67.

What we are discussing here is the first MEDIA/advertising mention of the term. The first public cubby-holing. The first linkage of criteria to an acceptable "whole".

And , unless you can prove otherwise, I don't believe it was the late 60s.

However I DO remember a V.A. UK lp being released called SOMETHING LIKE "The Golden PROGRESSIVE" Age of Deram" (So it would have Moody Blues and others on it. (I remember the POP group , World of Oz was on that )
No idea what the release date is or even if the title I gave is anywhere near correct. (I did a Wiki search and came up with nothing).
I will have a look thru the collection. Its possible I may even have this lp - one thing for sure is that I remember it had beautiful 'busy" coverart and I should have kept the copy if only for the cover (and the fact that it was laminated.)

What I DO remember about this early VA label-sampler lp was that most of the music was pop - not prog.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Progressive music was a label I remember being used in the late 60s/early 70s in the New Musical Express and Melody Maker. Progressive, as in Progress Rock was later.
There were a lot of different music which got our sought the label. And it very much depended on personal or a pundit's taste. Cream and Pink Floyd were progressive. Manfred Mann Chapter 3 aspired to be Progressive. Jethro Tull, Traffic probably were also labeled progressive.
So my memory has A Saucerful of Secrets (1968) definitely being labeled progressive as was Wheels of Fire (also 1968). But I think it would take a root through the back catalogue of the music mags of the time to settle this.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Canada

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

As you say, Terry, the term "progressive rock" came later.

I don't want to get into semantics but none of those bands mentioned fit into the criteria of progressive music. (Pink Floyd at the time of "Saucerful" was psych)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Does any of this REALLY matter.

If any of you think this is silly then go on a (so Called) Classical Music forum and try to define Classical Music.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn wrote:
slinger wrote:

You are going to have to give me some proof about this.

"Progressive" merely as an adjective was hardly used even into the early 70s - nevermind "progressive rock". I have MANY music catalogues going back to 1970 and the word just does not crop up as a selling term.

Documented proof of the words "progressive rock" being used in late 60's would be found on:
a/ lp liner notes
b/ music mags of the period
c/ recorded radio programs like Peel
d/ concert posters

You agree prog came out of blues and psych.
The first official album to include the word "psychedelic" in the liner notes is The Deep. (And I believe also on the first 13 Floor Elevators, but don't quote me.)
That is 1966. So then there is no way we need look earlier than '66 for the term "progressive music/rock". I think we agree on this at least.

Now, the first acknowledged mention of the word "progressive" linked to music was by a BRITISH magazine (or paper - I forget) and it was in the context of progressive-POP. They were describing a baroque-pop lp called "Pet Sounds". This also was '66. But this is nowhere near the true progressive-sound which would have started in '67.
"Court of the Crimson King" is generally agreed by pretty-well most all as being the first clearly prog lp (all the way thru).
Some say it is The Nice 'Ars Longa Vita Brevis" and there is a convincing arguement that it may even be - NOT a UK band - but America's band, Touch.

I can give you release dates for these lps and others that have been linked to "firsts" (such as the "Simon Simopath" lp) but that would not prove anything other than the SOUND was there in '67.

What we are discussing here is the first MEDIA/advertising mention of the term. The first public cubby-holing. The first linkage of criteria to an acceptable "whole".

And , unless you can prove otherwise, I don't believe it was the late 60s.

However I DO remember a V.A. UK lp being released called SOMETHING LIKE "The Golden PROGRESSIVE" Age of Deram" (So it would have Moody Blues and others on it. (I remember the POP group , World of Oz was on that )
No idea what the release date is or even if the title I gave is anywhere near correct. (I did a Wiki search and came up with nothing).
I will have a look thru the collection. Its possible I may even have this lp - one thing for sure is that I remember it had beautiful 'busy" coverart and I should have kept the copy if only for the cover (and the fact that it was laminated.)

What I DO remember about this early VA label-sampler lp was that most of the music was pop - not prog.
You obviously weren't born or not old enough to buy records. HMV had a big section marked 'progressive' early 70s though it wasn't exclusively 'prog' genre of music.
Last edited by Classicrock on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

+ 1 Doc - you beat me to it.

By the way Mississippi Blind Child Assburn, cool name, but is there a shorter/more familiar name I could use?

Also in general how long would you all say that progressive/progressive rock lasted? Seems a bit daft to still be calling the same old formula "progressive" after all these years - "stagnated rock" perhaps?
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1