Upgrade Path

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Upgrade Path

Unread post by George Hincapie »

System as per sig. In terms of bang for buck, what to upgrade next? I do have plans to replace the CD63 with a Cambridge CXC (because I am such a Fretless Groupie) and am also considering adding a Brennan B2. Next step I think should be to replace the A40s with A80s.

Thoughts?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Upgrade Path

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Regarding NVA the most cost effective, or that horrible expression "bang for buck" is LS5 to LS6. Then power amps.

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

I was looking at the possibility of getting a Cambridge CXC as well but during my research I realised that the last couple of generations of Cambridge CD players also use the S3 servo that the CXC does so I am going to try one of those, with and without the Caiman mkii. It should be an interesting comparison.

As an alternative to the Brennan I would suggest the Cocktail/Nova Fidelity products. I have used the X30 and think sounds great. The X40 is supposed to be an improved standalone NAS/player/streaming type device without the internal amp that the X30 has. These do seem to be more expensive than the Brennan though and I can't comment on the SQ of the Brennan either as I haven't heard it.

What about upgrading the LS5s to LS6. I am considering upgrading my own speaker cables and trying to decide whether to go directly for LS6 or try the LS5 first. Could that be a better route than upgrading the amps? (Doc got his reply in before me)
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Through to LS6 there are jumps in musical quality and amount no matter what level of nva equipment you use it with as you go up the range. TSCS (ex LS7) is a little different, at your level with A40's you will hardly hear much difference from LS6 but from A80/P90sa up to Statement amps the cable "finds" things in the music (and I don't only mean detail) that you hadn't a clue were there. Communication, and not just with you, but seeing it between the musicians, somehow the music just makes more sense.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I have to say that the 'Jitterbugged' Pi / Hifiberry Digi+ now really trounces the Cambridge CXC on clarity and spaciousness. File-based audio gives an inherent stability to the data stream the best CD transports struggle to match.

I have never heard LS6 - but on matters NVA you can always trust the Doc to give the right advice. Should start to consider it myself (now that the pound is weakened, ha!).

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

C'mon you Europeans - Bargain time :mrgreen:

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

Think going up the range is irresistible and each step delivers more than you expect, having just moved from the A60 to the A80 Mk1 mono's I'm amazed at the size of the step this has delivered in what I'd say is in a 3D way if that makes sense. :grin: The presentation of favourite tracks is just lovely.

So be guided by the Doc, but any move will be a positive I'm sure.
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

That's what I love about the NVA ethic. Anyone else would have just tried to flog a pair of power amps, not recommended a speaker cable upgrade.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Don't tell us, tell those arsehole owners at TAS that they threw out the opportunity of the cream.

George Hincapie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Thanks guys.

I am going to start with my sources; I've had the CD63 for 25 years, so it is time for a replacement. Undecided on the Brennan or Cocktail, but will do some further research there.

Thanks for the cable recommendation Doc. I am going to go for the A80s any way, just a question of timing really.

Many Thanks.