Voluptuous Vinyl, Wobbly Wav, or Fizzy Flac

All general audio posts go here.
BillyBones
Great Britain

Re: Voluptuous Vinyl, Wobbly Wav, or Fizzy Flac

Unread post by BillyBones »

Thanks for that Fretless.

I myself am now completely digital, whether it be by CD, internet radio, or streaming Spotify/Tidal via my Squeezebox Touch.

Up to 12 months ago I had a vinyl collection built up since the late 60's though not on the same scale as yourself, in the region of about 500 LPs. Since I bought my first JVC music centre in 1990 with CD function I only bought CDs, with only the occasional car boot LP here and there. Last year various issues arose in my life and I decided that as I hadn't played an LP in months, had a moderately expensive Pro-Ject turntable set-up sat around doing nothing except gather dust, that I would take the plunge and sold my entire record collection. I cherry picked the newer ones, and those with a decent value, and sold those individually on various forums and Ebay. That left me with about 400 LPs of dubious quality and content, that a record dealer paid me nearly £800 for. I do love this new vinyl interest, I'd have been lucky to get £200 a few years earlier! I also sold my turntable on Ebay, again with the greater interest in vinyl I clawed back nearly 80% of what I'd paid for it.

I would never knock vinyl, everyone to their own, but I don't miss it. Over the years I've ripped every CD I've got into FLAC files though I've never got round to going the full hog with regards a NAS of some description. I have experimented with streaming these files from my PC/laptop and I can see the attraction and benefits, but I still like to put a CD into my CDP and press PLAY.

I think I'd be lost without my SBT, such a brilliant piece of equipment if you listen to a lot of internet radio. I read a lot about RaspberryPi's, what do they do exactly?

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Voluptuous Vinyl, Wobbly Wav, or Fizzy Flac

Unread post by Fretless »

The Pi as a music player does pretty well the same as a Squeezebox Touch. The SBT comes with a screen and remote, the Pi is a home-built kit thingy that you can adapt to your own needs. Software packages to control the music system are available free online (Volumio, Moode, Rune etc.).

I've only heard positive reports about the SBT - sounds like it's a joy to use!

Interesting, your tip about selling your remaining vinyl - might just consider doing that myself, still got a few collector's items tucked away in there. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450