NEBO 6 set for November 2015

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
brit-pop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: NEBO 6 set for November 2015

Unread post by brit-pop »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:All in all a NVA disaster. Cubettes in the wrong place, A40s couldn't be demed properly because JBLs sounded crap, Phono 2 down on one channel, P90sa and pre amp shoot out inconclusive because of naff amp used. Everyone had a great time apart from NVA :|

Marco must have been dancing in the isles.

Sorry Brit and Proggy, it was surely a great day, take little notice of my disappointment. Can I do a proper one where I set everything up properly and make sure it is all working as in my suggestion of a trade one.
Not at all. The Cubettes were warmly received and many positive comments about them. They played for at least an hour with a Sugden CD player, Macca's P90sa and my A40s up them.

At this point in the day people were coming and going from the bar and getting food, so I just left them playing some Vetiver. While I was away there'd been a jazz Cd played and when I returned there was a happy half dozen enjoying some Elvis on them. Nobody said they were anything other than a capable little speaker and I think they will have left an impression.

My A40s played for a large chunk of the time, via my Benchmark DAC and the borrowed Sugden CDP. Everyone enjoyed the Snarky Puppy orchestral piece I demoed with, my JBLs were just throwing all their bass down into the springy floor. Someone commented they could feel it from the other side of the room. For much of the day, the LS5 cable and SSC were the cables used, not just with my gear but with others. Nobody had anything less than positive comments about these.

During the preamp shootout I heard comments about the drive the P90sa had compared to the others. As it was however matched with a valve amp, the TVC had it by a nose for me. If they'd all used the NVA amps that might have been different.

Take heart, many people got to hear the fine kit and aside from the technical issue with the phono stage which meant nobody even got to hear it, let alone judge it, I think it was a good day for NVA.

You'll never be happy though until you come along youself and help us manage some of the many compromises we have to make.

I don't think Lurcher would have happy about the power in the venue, nor Colin Topps happy with the room acoustic but nobody's crying over it. I was gutted the phono stage wasn't working and sweated over it with 2 others for a good while to establish neither the deck, preamp or cables was at fault and missing the action elsewhere before conceding defeat.
Last edited by brit-pop on Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brit-pop

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Macca I wish you could take a trip down and here them as they are supposed to be. I pride myself on being able to set them up in any acoustic. They would have been fine in that big room if they were back against the wall. The bass from even the Cubettes is deep and tuneful if sited correctly.
I'd agree with that.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

OK thanks Brit, I am being over sensitive.

Get Proggy to send the head unit of the Phono2 back it sounds like something broke in the transit to NEBO, well it shouldn't have :oops:

I would still love to do one for you and bring a whole load of kit up, but don't want you or Proggy to be accused of shilling or spamming as DSJR has just been on AoS for daring to do a post saying he loved the Cube 2 he heard here Saturday. It was removed within 5 mins of him posting it and accused of shilling in a PM :x More proof that NVA cannot be talked about on AoS.

I see these things for direct sellers as replacement for not having retailers to dem it.

brit-pop

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:OK thanks Brit, I am being over sensitive.

Get Proggy to send the head unit of the Phono2 back it sounds like something broke in the transit to NEBO, well it shouldn't have :oops:

I would still love to do one for you and bring a whole load of kit up, but don't want you or Proggy to be accused of shilling or spamming as DSJR has just been on AoS for daring to do a post saying he loved the Cube 2 he heard here Saturday. It was removed within 5 mins of him posting it and accused of shilling in a PM :x More proof that NVA cannot be talked about on AoS.

I see these things for direct sellers as replacement for not having retailers to dem it.
I had a chat with Progmeister about this suggestion and don't think the NEBO is right for it, not least because NEBO is an enthusiast's event with a strong emphasis on experimentation. As such at can be a bit random and chaotic at times and perhaps not the best way to properly dem gear. Besides it's also a bit of a piss up and people end up chatting as well if they know each other from forums rather than just listening to the gear.

I think you can skin the cat another way though. How about organising a mini tour of sorts for NVA which could be presented as 'An evening of music with NVA', this could take the form of a few intimate evenings in say the North, Midlands, South East and West which use conference room type venues rather than the big hall a'la NEBO.

People could bring their own sources, turntables, music etc and the organiser arranges refreshments/nibbles.

This would also mean they could be held in venues closer to city centres and perhaps more accessible for people. As such they could be more formal, whilst still sociable but I think that's a more appropriate and dare I say, more professional environment for the manufacturers. There's also no reason why 2 or three manufacturers couldnt collaborate to do the evening.

I don't think I'd be the right person to do it though, not least because I'm busy enough with my day job and, in terms of my forum presence and relationships I enjoy, I'm quite content with them as they are.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Macca wrote:I think I'm right in saying that all of us who had a listen to the Cubettes were impressed. As for fighting the acoustic the space was so large we might as well have set up in a field. Based on what I heard I would definitely check out the larger versions if my own room wasn't so unsuitable.
Macca, I REALLY have no agenda and apologies to Struth if he thought the timing of my post was wrong, but having heard and been bowled away by the Cube 2's yesterday and having been 'encouraged' by the Doc to place a user-based review of my findings on AOS, I did, only to have it immediately taken down with a polite but terse PM to the effect that I was taking advantage in Marco's absence. Any chance, if the text is still in a holding pattern somewhere, that it could be reviewed and possibly re-instated? Of all the smaller models, I feel this one works 'first time' with little 'fussing' needed to and I don't think it's inappropriate to give credit where it's due, especially when the alternatives are crummy PMC 20's, Neats and other little bling-faced squitters for less than a grand!.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Dave - if someone who has purchased/demoed said speakers and who has no connection to NVA other than being a customer or potential customer wishes to post their review then It will not be taken down. But there is not going to be any trade representation by the back door. I appreciate that your positive opinions of the 'speaker are genuine, but that's not the point.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Brit that is exactly what I am suggesting, not taking over NEBO, perish the thought. I am asking if you two could do it for up there as I suggested in my original email to you. Read that again.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Macca wrote:Dave - if someone who has purchased/demoed said speakers and who has no connection to NVA other than being a customer or potential customer wishes to post their review then It will not be taken down. But there is not going to be any trade representation by the back door. I appreciate that your positive opinions of the 'speaker are genuine, but that's not the point.
FECKING CRAP, that is it I have had it with you, you are just as bad as Marco. THIS IS BREAKING YOUR RULES!!!!

Dave is not trade for me and never has been, he has nothing to do with NVA speakers, all he does is freelance assembly work on AMPLIFIERS, PRE AMPS, PHONO STAGES. This was a test to see if the rules would be broken and they are. Your rules state that myself and HFS are not to be referred to but NVA can be talked about. Sooo Dave is a member of your forum, he was here yesterday and heard the Cube 2 ,I am sure you have read his review here (which I didn't ask him to do). I said thanks and now I dare you to put it up at AoS. We both saw it as a test of your honesty and to see the truth about your attitude to NVA.

Well now we see it, and it is the lies and crap that I had expected. NVA IS CENSORED ON AOS AND THIS IS THE PROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Don't expect any advice or help from me in the future you are now on my black list.

You know your statement about people allowed to give reviews is just for me and NVA, no one else is subject to it, otherwise for example Firebottle and RFC wouldn't get away with it, plus others - per usual pure hypocrisy.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Macca wrote:Dave - if someone who has purchased/demoed said speakers and who has no connection to NVA other than being a customer or potential customer wishes to post their review then It will not be taken down. But there is not going to be any trade representation by the back door. I appreciate that your positive opinions of the 'speaker are genuine, but that's not the point.
For the final time, it was not and never was intended to be trade representation by the back door. The point was, of all the smaller NVA speakers, the Cube 2 seems to do it with least fuss. Of course I was 'persuaded' gently by the Doc to post on AOS what I posted here and of course, the fact that the Cubettes were at NEBO might arouse a little more interest as more non-NVA people could get a chance to hear them!

Loads more I could say, but it's wasted typing. I can't get over the suspicion and anti-feeling in some quarters, when the reasons have been spelled out time after time. No finger pointing at you, but the having to justify myself with every other post (that happened a year or two back on AOS with another mod) and now the accusation that I'm sneaking in a crafty ad for NVA via the back door is just ridiculous - in my opinion.

Try as I might, I don't seem to make headway. I've been in the industry too long to be a total numpty user, but I have tried over the years to give of my experience and knowledge to those less experienced and whatever people think, I'm not patronising by nature, however it comes across. I think the Cube 2's are worth the effort in trying to get a listen and I also feel they're far better than most other 'new' smaller speakers at the price. The fact that someone else will have to take the trouble is sad, that's all - and I've NEVER been anything less than honest in what I do - look at the palaver with MCRU, Tellurium Q and others, where posters were obviously getting some sortof kick-back with reviews they'd posted.

Ah well, it's your collective loss, and I'm getting not to care any more :(
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Macca Pakka Fukin Whakka.......Right enough.

Ffs Macca you could be (sure yer not) that cnut Marco...... :naughty: :naughty:

A nicer, straight down the middle, tell it the way it is, guy you couldn't meet than DSJR...... :hand:

ps...tenner your owe me Dave... ;)

If Dave says it's so..........Bank it, Its so.