NEBO 6 set for November 2015

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: NEBO 6 set for November 2015

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You might well get more than you bargained for :lol:

Why is violence such a Scottish hobby, it strikes me as the go to in male human behaviour over the border.

wiicrackpot
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:You might well get more than you bargained for :lol:

Why is violence such a Scottish hobby, it strikes me as the go to in male human behaviour over the border.
Don't know, maybe the Braveheart mentality hasn't left them, noticed i used 'them' as i am not from these shores, :grin:
maybe the inter Clan battles form the Jacobean period is instilled in them.

Thread drift a bit, someone posted on HUKD about Costco Glasgow is doing 36 knives for £1.16, some of the comments thereafter is pure gold,
blood on the streets that bargain.:mrgreen:
Frank...made me do it.

brit-pop

Unread post by brit-pop »

Pics...

Write up will take me a bit longer and I've stuff I need to do today but rather than keep you waiting, here's the eye candy.

The Progmeister had a proper camera with him so hopefully some of his will be better.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Cubettes were much too far away from the walls, they should have been up against them almost. You will have lost most of the bass and the balance of the speaker.

brit-pop

Unread post by brit-pop »

Later on I put them on the table and closer to the walls. This improved the bass but as always in events like these setup is compromised by many factors for all kinds of gear. The Yamahas you see here were struggling with their midrange. My JBLs were plodding and lumpy to my ears, the little standmounts bordered on shrill at times which if I know their builder, just isn't his style. The lurcher poweramp struggled with the inconsistent power in the venue. Jez's phono stage didn't find synergy with the rest of my kit. The pioneer deck was a bit wobbly overall. I could go on but we recognise the unique situation the kit is in and get on with it.

So everything has to be taken with a big pinch

Also to note that the pics are not representative of every configuration, they're just snapshots at different times of the day. :grin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well I have given you detailed instructions of where to put them and how to set them up. All that was needed was push the stands back to the wall and push the speaker back on the stand. You need to do this at home as well. You are not dealing with a *normal* speaker. A normal speaker fights the acoustic Cubes work with the acoustic. Used as you show them or on a table and you are getting less than 50% of what they are capable of.

Sorry but disappointed, it was waste to send them.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Apparently the Phono 2 lost a channel as well :(
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

All in all a NVA disaster. Cubettes in the wrong place, A40s couldn't be demed properly because JBLs sounded crap, Phono 2 down on one channel, P90sa and pre amp shoot out inconclusive because of naff amp used. Everyone had a great time apart from NVA :|

Marco must have been dancing in the isles.

Sorry Brit and Proggy, it was surely a great day, take little notice of my disappointment. Can I do a proper one where I set everything up properly and make sure it is all working as in my suggestion of a trade one.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

I think I'm right in saying that all of us who had a listen to the Cubettes were impressed. As for fighting the acoustic the space was so large we might as well have set up in a field. Based on what I heard I would definitely check out the larger versions if my own room wasn't so unsuitable.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Macca I wish you could take a trip down and here them as they are supposed to be. I pride myself on being able to set them up in any acoustic. They would have been fine in that big room if they were back against the wall. The bass from even the Cubettes is deep and tuneful if sited correctly.