All things NVA
kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: New!!!!! NVA CD players

Unread post by kimangelis »

Detail please. What sets it apart?
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Who is that!!? do you really think that the Rega is designed in isolation, it is two thirds bought in same as what mine will end up being. Difference is he buys in the parts I buy in a donor unit and throw away the bits I don't use. You cannot buy the parts for 10 units, suppliers would laugh at you, you have to order hundreds.

kimangelis
Great Britain

Bloody-hell!

Look I get that! I don't think that Rega, or Linn or Naim (or whomever) all design and build in isolation. I realise parts are bought-in.

What I don't understand is how your design is better. I'm not disputing it may be, as everything I use of yours has been.. well astonishing!

I'd just like to understand, that's all. WHAT MAKES YOUR CD PLAYER SO GOOD?... and no Jammy isn't pressing the CapsLk button!
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I presume it is a matter of providing the different parts of a player with NVA total-overkill power supplies, that other budget-constrained manufacturers wouldn't dare to use.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

selby

Unread post by selby »

I think most people are just interested in the specs, like when you look at other players they list out specs including what DAC chip the player uses, look at the Cambridge Audio website for example. I doubt the specs are valid from the donor player once the doc has done his magic and most specs are probably marketing BS anyway...but I think people just want a little more info to make them feel more comfortable about committing to buy one.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sorry I can't help, it will be what it is, the same as any NVA design is.

selby

Unread post by selby »

If I wanted a CD player I'd buy one...but then I'd probably buy a NVA chocolate tea pot if you said it would be good based on the sound I heard today.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

kimangelis
Great Britain

That's all I wanted to hear Doc.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The one good thing that sets Rega apart from other CD player manufacturers is the fact that their sensibilities are firmly rooted in vinyl. This means, I think, that design compromises (there are always compromises of sorts in any design) are around maintaining musicality, involvement, warmth or body of tone over shrieking 'deeeeetail' and a cold, detached 'clinical' kind of presentation. Their after care is second to none (it has to be these days sadly...) and for a shop-bought purchase, I still recommend the brand with enthusiasm.

The NVA player will be amazing I'm sure - and I have to say repeatedly how shocked I am how many audio op-amps can respond positively to bigger and better power supplies. This is one area that isn't cheap and I believe many electronics engineers wouldn't ever bother with this, as the chips supposedly don't 'need' it. Maybe there's other things in play here as well as costings, but I've been delighted to have had my ears opened in the last eighteen months or so :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

CD players with attention paid to the power supplies and analogue output sound a lot better than those that don't. This has nothing to do with how a player is voiced or whether it sounds 'analogue' or not. All that is bollocks anyway. it is more to do with the lack of mush and hash in the sound and this is something that you do not realise is even there until you hear a player that does not exhibit it. *And there are very few of them still made and they cost thousands*

I expect the NVA player to dance on the Rega's grave.