CD Sources with NVA?

All things NVA
Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: CD Sources with NVA?

Unread post by Macca »

Depends what you mean by bright.

Bright to me is a bit toppy i.e mid and top dominating the bass - but I've noticed that bright to others means a bit harsh, a bit shouty, a bit forced in the midrange.

I would say if things sound too bright - in either definition - it is some other part of the system at fault. It isn't likely to be the CD player unless it is faulty. Players with a Marantz-type balance will help a rough sounding system a bit - but it is not the way to do it.

In any case if you have NVA amps then use an NVA passive pre and you won't have that issue with any player you try. I have tried a lot of CD players and I still have most of them ( about 20 I think).

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I don't really understand the purpose of the OP's question here. NVA amps have as little a sound of their own as any amp I've ever heard and the 47k loading (approx.) is fine for most sources I believe, so ANY digital source should be fine as long as it's not spewing out loads of RF and ultra-sonic noises like many early CD players do (especially the Philips TDA1541 based machines I remember), Later players I think, and probably most Sony's after 1990 or so, probably had 'clean' outputs as standard (not sure about the earlier ES models which could have stray currents on the casework, which tingled when you touched them).

My current players are - Micro Seiki CD-M2, Denon DCD 1520, Twin-supply QED Digit Opto, Behringer UCA 202 and the ubiquitous £10 DAC available from many eBay sources. ALL of them work well with NVA in my experience!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

AshM750.

Unread post by AshM750. »

Well maybe it's different with NVA but surely sources have an influence on how the rest of your equipment sounds? I find my ears are very sensitive and they can often pick up very high frequencys, if you have a cold and bright amp(bit shouty ect) you match it with a warm sounding cd player, that could calm your amp down. Does that make sense? If not just tell me to shut up. :grin:

Anyway I have managed to get myself one of these for now at a very cheap price! So when I get my AP50 I will be doing some comparing.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-CDP-X779ES.html

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

You just bought a great player.

If your amp makes it sound cold and hard then change the amp.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

AshM750. wrote:Well maybe it's different with NVA but surely sources have an influence on how the rest of your equipment sounds? I find my ears are very sensitive and they can often pick up very high frequencys, if you have a cold and bright amp(bit shouty ect) you match it with a warm sounding cd player, that could calm your amp down. Does that make sense? If not just tell me to shut up. :grin:

Anyway I have managed to get myself one of these for now at a very cheap price! So when I get my AP50 I will be doing some comparing.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-CDP-X779ES.html
A cold and bright amp will still sound like that, even with a warm and soggy CD player. The whole will be less than the sum of the parts and really not enjoyable to listen through.

The Sony 555ES and previous 505ES and 502ES could sound a little 'whiter than white' I remember, but never harsh, ringing or fatiguing as so many *very* early CD players (from the Philips stable) could. The 777 was better but never came here (I think it sold in Germany though) and the ones the Doc is talking about were from later era's and with a more natural and 'correct' tonal balance I believe. remember, most CD's made from analogue tape transfers were done with Sony A-D units I think, the 1610 and 1630 being all but standard I believe.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

AshM750.

Unread post by AshM750. »

Yes Dave, you are right. I understand what your saying, the sound will still be the same even if you did have a warmer CDP. That actually makes more sense.

As for the Sony CDP, im really looking forward to comparing it with the Teac, doesn't the Teac have Sony parts in it?