Basic P50 v Tisbury passive

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Basic P50 v Tisbury passive

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

No, I think the first stepping stone is the Creek one which is pretty ordinary sounding IMO.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Well it would be a good starting point bake off......... :mrgreen:

Tissy v Creek.

I know who would win......

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well we have NEBO which could do a Bake-Off between about 3 or 4 of them from what I see of the people going.

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

Can't offer much in terms of a comparative review, but I have tried the Tisbury when I used a P50. I sent it back after a week or so, as to me it was nowhere near as transparent sounding as the NVA when used with A80s. It may be worth trying with other kit, but I'd suggest you save the money you'll spend sending it back if you already use NVA.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The NVA was always better value if you needed more inputs and outputs. Having found the Crown D-60 (workroom one drives headphones) and the HH both sound 'better' with a passive, I will probably look towards getting a P50 for myself as it looks so much better than my jobbie, which looks worse than a dogs dinner and is only three input with one output.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

IMO DACT type attenuators using SMD resistors are pretty naf. I have two here somewhere if I can find them I ordered from Hong Kong, and my standard pot was better than them. If anyone wants them and I can find them they can have them.

brit-pop

Unread post by brit-pop »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Well we have NEBO which could do a Bake-Off between about 3 or 4 of them from what I see of the people going.
I will take my Icon Audio and really keen to hear Macca's P90SA...

I will say right now if I prefer it I'll flog the icon and buy one.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

But no remote.

I get a bit embarrassed about not doing a remote. But the motorised pots are not as good as my pots, and motorised stepped attenuators ditto, and the SA are really hard to find. Electronic and digital volume control circuits are crap, to not put too finer point on it. So in order to remote (at the moment within my experience) I have to make the pre-amp worse musically, and I wont do it.

brit-pop

Unread post by brit-pop »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:But no remote.

I get a bit embarrassed about not doing a remote. But the motorised pots are not as good as my pots, and motorised stepped attenuators ditto, and the SA are really hard to find. Electronic and digital volume control circuits are crap, to not put too finer point on it. So in order to remote (at the moment within my experience) I have to make the pre-amp worse musically, and I wont do it.
Rich, I totally get that and have a lot of respect for it. I know that NVA is no compromise music first kit and I wouldn't even suggest you change it for something you'd consider inferior.

So if I prefer it musically I'll man up and get over the remote thing for the love of the music.

akond_ze_skwak

Unread post by akond_ze_skwak »

Khozmo Acoustic passive preamps - simple, but reasonably priced, I suppose (though never heard them):
http://www.khozmo.com/index.html