Has thanked: 0

Re: Macca's System Blog

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

That magic word synergy again.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I wonder how many old speaker designs sound better with a simple cable? Could this apply to any recent product?
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is because of voicing and the systems that were used then, as I explained. Back in the late 60's and early 70's I worked in hi-fi retail on and off. You would sell Quad or big Jap set ups with big speakers and bell wire or if they wanted better then two core mains wire off a reel, no one knew any different. PLUS until the flat earth happened and the intro of Naim and Exposure amplifiers didn't deliver large current, power came from voltage so thin cables were all that was needed. The whole cable thing started with Naim needing thicker cable and as Dave (DSJR) said the only available ones came from RS on the reel. Since then we have discovered cable is an important part of system design and synergy with modern amps. BUT with most valve amps you still don't really need more than mains wire as they only really deliver volts. Hence valve people like Lyndsay have a different opinion to us user of high current delivery transistor amps. AND then we get this anomaly with these speakers, I suspected as much and I have been proved right.

The little NVA A30 is perfectly happy as the Akais don't want current so it is well up to the job. The benefit to move up the range will be musical not drive capability as it would with more modern speakers. Too much current delivery was overpowering the Akais and turning them muddy, the LS1 is thin so doesn't allow those levels of current to flow, so horses for course, which is why I produce a range of cables.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Synergy - You'll know when you've got it........ :dance: :dance: :dance:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Bravo doc 4 spot on succinct and intelligent posts on the trot starting with the listen to the music not the amp.

Be careful though jerry might put you on his ignore list :lol: :lol:

mac can glad to see you are happy again.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Ignore list - Thats a silly function, I mean the bastards might be talkin about ya..... :evil:

Yes I feel for poor Jerry sometimes, it cant be nice never having heard real music. over and above his latest system components...... :cry:

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

I think some people who use NVA with LS5 were starting to think I was either deaf or lying. ;)

Just goes to show how cables can be a moveable feast depending on what they are connecting.

Last night I played again all the albums I listened to on Wednesday night with the LS5. Such a big improvement in the quality of the sound. I now have something I can live with and enjoy, even if it is not the ultimate in any respect it is now up there in quality terms with the excellent systems I heard at the last NEBO.

Richard, you were spot on with your diagnosis, many thanks, we got there in the end.

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

jammy395 wrote:Synergy - You'll know when you've got it........ :dance: :dance: :dance:
Can't agree more - having changed all the cables recently the music and the equipment now seem completely detached from each other - previously I was very aware of a perception that the kit I can see was doing something to make the sounds - now the music just happens in the room. It's actually quite remarkable especially in a room that's far from an ideal listening room. I no longer listen to hifi! :grin:
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Sandman you have got it right there in a nutshell.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well let me know if you want a 2.5 set made up, if so hold on to both sets until you get it and then send the 2m LS1 and 2.5m LS5 back and I will credit the difference against the ebay sale of the LS5.

Happy we have got to the bottom of it, all you need now is the BMU again :mrgreen: