vintage cartridges

All general audio posts go here.
spacejay
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

vintage cartridges

Unread post by spacejay »

i am in a bit of a cartridge quandary and keep changing my mind. i have an at33ptg with a bent cantilever and a midas bodied dl103 in need of a retip. i can't decide which to get done though kind of like the idea of using a vintage cart prob from the 70's, maybe something like an entre ec1 with a bit of life left which could then be retipped. as i know naff all about these types of cartridges are there any good but overlooked ones?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: vintage cartridges

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Shure M3D - a rock-n-roll cart

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: vintage cartridges

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The classic Entre is a bit soft, but may well respond to modern decks and phono stages. Others parallel imported by KJ were slightly brighter in balance I remember.

I like the 33PTG, but the generator of the venerable 103 is good too and apparently takes better styli than the conical it comes with.

I still trust ESCo to do this job, but posters I trust also recommend Goldring, who don't seem to have the backlog that ESCo have.

A good vintage Supex 900E is a lovely thing if the diamond and suspension are ok (there was a bad batch though) and judging by how a Troika comes alive with a careful rebuild and retip, I reckon a Karma might be worth a go if you can find one.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...