Back to the future

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Back to the future

Unread post by Fretless »

I love the sound of 80's hifi - but appreciate the convenience of modern digital sources. As a teenager I dreamed of being able to carry my music collection around in my pocket - and now I can.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Fretless
Netherlands

As for making music better - DSD files have an absurdly high sampling rate and should be able to match the resolution of an analogue source. But, every digital medium does have a tendency to take some of the 'life' out of a recording.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Listen to late 50's Decca recording if you think we have learnt anything, we haven't.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The golden age for rock and pop music was the mid 60's to the mid 80's. This was the period when there were the most bands around doing the most innovative stuff.

The golden age for classical recordings was the 60's with all the classic Decca recordings.

The golden age for turntables was the 70's through to the mid 1980's. When you had the widest choice of Idler, direct drive and belt drive turntables.

Golden age for speakers was the era before slimline ported designs took over - IE before 1990.

Golden age for amplification devices for my tastes was the 1920's to 1930's with the valves that were made in that period.

Golden age for buying hi-fi has been 2000 through to today due to the advent of ebay and online hi-fi forums.

Welder
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Welder »

I’m rather fond of this digital age. I can still remember how shocked I was when listening to the first serious Dac and file based system I heard. For information retrieval and resolution it tore my turntable system apart. However, much of my favorite music has over the years embedded into my brain with a particular analogue sound and many of these albums just don’t sound as I remember through a digital system and a few albums I still prefer to listen to on an analogue system; this doesn’t necessarily mean they sound better, more they sound the way I remember them from those early listening years.
On the other hand, much of the more recently digitally recorded music sounds pretty rough mainly due to careless engineering and over use of the plethora of limiters and filters available with digital mixing.

For me, it’s not that the replay equipment has got worse, in fact technically and often measurably much of today’s kit is far better, it’s that the vast majority of music is approached with a great deal less respect; it’s become a product and less of an art.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

Fretless
Netherlands

I very much agree.

As for Golden ages, I missed jazz in the 50's. Trane, Miles, Monk, Blue Note. One mic, no mixing.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Office:

Dingsking

Unread post by Dingsking »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Valves are 50's (or earlier) technology. So you were back to the future in the 1990's. I think you miss the point of the thread.
No, not missed the point at all. Surely the point of this thread is not intended to be so prescriptive. Valves re-emerged in the 90's but in a way different to traditionally thought of. They were no longer soft a wooly but rather acute and sharp in sound reproduction terms, no doubt because of advance in the supporting components used in valve amp construction. They were considerably more musical compared to most of the Solid Sate over the counter alternatives and actually remain in that position today. I recognise there are some horror stories about valves, some even perpetuated by yourself, but a well put together valve amp is as safe as it's solid state alternative and of course, the intelligent user knows how to maximise their use and keep them safe at the same time.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Dingsking wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Valves are 50's (or earlier) technology. So you were back to the future in the 1990's. I think you miss the point of the thread.
No, not missed the point at all. Surely the point of this thread is not intended to be so prescriptive. Valves re-emerged in the 90's but in a way different to traditionally thought of. They were no longer soft a wooly but rather acute and sharp in sound reproduction terms, no doubt because of advance in the supporting components used in valve amp construction. They were considerably more musical compared to most of the Solid Sate over the counter alternatives and actually remain in that position today. I recognise there are some horror stories about valves, some even perpetuated by yourself, but a well put together valve amp is as safe as it's solid state alternative and of course, the intelligent user knows how to maximise their use and keep them safe at the same time.
Who told you that!!!!

Nothing has changed apart from some solid state has been used in some valve amp power supplies. Valves re-emerged in the UK in the late 70's with Anthony and Michaelson. The 90's had nothing to do with it.

Stop making it a competition, that is just childish bollocks. The thread is not about which is best, it is about what is your fav back to the future.

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Listen to late 50's Decca recording if you think we have learnt anything, we haven't.
I agree in terms of recordings. Those old Deccas just can't be beat in classical music (I don't know much about other genres). You simply won't hear better recordings from any era, imo. Digital has not changed that, although it too can sound very fine indeed, imo.

Hifi kit, though :think: - as a rabid boxswapper I've enjoyed equipment from the late 50's onwards - good and bad in all time periods. There is some fairly innovative modern design and materials in my speakers and I luvs 'em with a passion, you'd need an industrial strength crowbar to part me from them.

Electronics - a Leak Stereo 20 is a fine amp indeed, and that comes from 1958. I could happily live with a refurbed St20. But I also enjoy selected examples of more modern solid state and valve designs. DQ has recently expressed surprise at the variety of kit that I have enjoyed and enthused over, so maybe it's just me. :think:

So call me omnivorous when it comes to hifi design era, you can get good and bad all the way along the line, imo.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Even you will admit that you are an unusual case Jerry.