AP10H

All things NVA
southall-1998
Wales

AP10H

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I've started to use my AP10H today. (Arrived on the day before Christmas) So many thanks!

The headphones I'm using are my old, but beloved Grado SR80. Source is a ''slightly modified'' Sony PS1. Interconnects are the usual Sound Cords.

The sound is icy clear with copious musicality.

£175 for this head amp is just plain silly good value!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: AP10H

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Thank Gawd for that Shane. I'd thought you'd abandoned NVA for good...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Grado and AP10h seems to be a very happy mix. I don't think it is a synergy thing, I just think Grado headphones are so good very few headphone amps get the best out of them.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

My grotty old ex-DJ HD25SP's sound better too, the bass and mid treble excesses being brilliantly under better control. This set of 25SP 'modules' were bought to replace my blown pair of originals, which were fried by one of my D-60's dumping DC into them (my fault, NOT the amp being unreliable :(). They've been caned for years and have a looser slightly sloppier sound than my otherwise safely used originals, bought new in 2004 when I finally left the retail audio industry.

Anyone here tried the big top-model Sennheisers with an AP10? They're so inefficient that I think most op-amp based headphone amps just don't have the drive for them and I hated my HD600's when it could have been a then lack of proper driving amp..
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

The NVA AP10H drives my Audeze LCD3 can's superbly. :mrgreen: :guiness;

southall-1998
Wales

Just got back home....

My mother told me the house power box got cut off. This also means that my AP10H went off, as it was left switched on while I was out. Anyway it's working fine!

If this happens again, will the AP10H become faulty/damaged?

Anyway, I've spent many hours listening to music through the AP10H last night. Grados can utterly be addictive, regardless of its flaws at the same time.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

wallace
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wallace »

I have accidently unplugged mine a few times Shane,i guess it is the same as switching it off,still works fine.Don't think it's full of silly relays and stuff like a Naim amp.!!?? 8-)
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

All a power switches does is remove power, in this case it is just your house switch that removed the power, nothing can be harmed.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Shane, don't believe the bullsh*t about leaving the bloody thing on all the time! The AP20 I have back in the office/workshop system is turned off when I've finished with it and I'm darned if I can hear any 'warm-up' at all - the phono stage in the AVI preamp does take 45 minutes though, opening up almost like a switch being turned on and several samples I've personally used did exactly the same - I thought it was the cartridge or the amp, but it isn't. The Phono 2's I'm testing are left powered for a good while and again, switched off when not in use. Not a peep from the Phono 2 on switch-on and only a light plop from the speakers when the AP20 is powered up :)

southall-1998
Wales

I have now owned my SR80 for almost 4 years. From the start along with first impression, was that I found them slightly aggressive sounding. When my ears fully adjusted to their signature, there was just something special about them. I can't really explain it but I was satisfied, Even today I'm still satisfied with my SR80.

Someday I'll seek for some Grado RS1 headphones.

S.
Shane Lonergan.