Creek

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Creek

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Shane Lonergan.

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Creek

Unread post by Andrew »

I've replaced a naim pre/power in my 2nd system three times with either Creek 4040 or 4140 and they've given little away. Creek amps really play music AFAIC.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Andrew wrote:I've replaced a naim pre/power in my 2nd system three times with either Creek 4040 or 4140 and they've given little away. Creek amps really play music AFAIC.
So, another Nait killer then :mrgreen:

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I prefer Creek amps to the Nait.

In the right system, I've been perfectly happy with Creek amps and never once thought about "sound quality". They just make music and are always enjoyable.

Of course, others may disagree and their opinion is no less valid than mine or anyone's. That said, I bet lots of people haven't even tried them because they are long forgotten and also disregarded because they go for cheap. The phono stages are really good too, so there really is no downside. Even if they aren't your thing, you've not spent a lot :D

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I use my Creek 4040 that I bought new in 1983 for £99 in my A/V system these days where it does a good enough job feeding my Blu Ray player and Freeview PVR to my EV Sentry speakers. But for £35 I reckon a fully working A&R A60 would be slightly better. The Creek is also less grippy in the bass and a little worse for midrange clarity than my £26 Urei 6400.

In other words Creek 4040's are OK and will do a decent job, but they're not for someone that's highly ambitious when it comes to the sound quality they want from a sub £50 amp.

BTW I bought my Creek after a comparative demo against the NAD3020 where I strongly prefered the Creek due to the NAD sounding cotton woolly compared to the Creek.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Here's a challenge. Name all the UK amplifier manufacturers that started in the 80's that were killed off by the Linn / Naim axis taking over the dealerships.

I'll start you off - Creek

And about four different companies Braindead was involved in, which were they. He has been bust more times that Peter Q.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Myst, Kelvin labs, Onix (original), ion systems, inca tech, magnum, alchemist, audio innovations, Mission, QED, Quantum, Crimson Elektrik, Beard, Arion, Cambridge Audio (Stan Curtis), Heybrook, Alphason, Lentek, Audiolab, Exposure?, Deltec, Ariston, Wharfedale, John Shearne.

Probably loads more but they are my first thoughts. Some of these have been resurrected but never what they were.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Those Linn / Naim bastards have a lot to answer for........ :twisted:
They simply steamrolled any opposition big style.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I survived by going export mostly to the far east. Trying to deal with UK hi-fi dealers was like trying to deal with a religious cult with criminal intent. In other words you were lucky to get any and even luckier to find one who paid his bills. And all the time you(the customer) were being fed Linn and Naim, and the only other companies *allowed* a share of the market were those Ivor gave his approval to, in other words helped him sell his turntables. You remember it I am sure, any old cheap crap was sold as long as it had a LP12 with it. NAD3020 or Rotel, Wharfedale Diamonds or similar, and a LP12 :roll:

Pretty good list Andrew.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I bought my Creek at a Linn Naim dealer. The 4040 was in an area of the market that Linn and Naim didn't occupy.

Although it may have been that comparative demos made it hard for some potential customers to justify the cost of Naim amplification.

My brother's Naim 42 / 110 combination was probably a bit better than my Creek and it also had an MC section which the 4040 lacked - being MM only. Any gains from his amplification was lost by him using boring-boring Mission speakers which I never liked but he did for some strange reason.

Anyway, the main reason I never bought any Naim amps was because of the marginal improvement over my Creek compared to the cost.