Creek

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Creek

Unread post by jammy395 »

I bought my Creek at a Linn Naim dealer. The 4040 was in an area of the market that Linn and Naim didn't occupy. (Lyndsayt)

That area must have been tucked away in the top shelf corner of the dealers broom cupboard was it......... :laughing-rolling:

RIAT

Unread post by RIAT »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Here's a challenge. Name all the UK amplifier manufacturers that started in the 80's that were killed off by the Linn / Naim axis taking over the dealerships.

I'll start you off - Creek
how can Creek have been "killed off" when they're still going?

jammy395

Riatt, Dont you believe in the resurrection....... :pray: :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is not the same company http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creek_Audio

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Many names live on and not only are they not the same company , they will have none of the original people involved and may even be in a different country .

jammy395

:o Like HP Sauce.
A great British Sauce Made in the Netherlands..png
A great British Sauce Made in the Netherlands..png (64.87 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
:naughty: :twisted:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

how the bloody hell can it be cheaper to make hp sauce in Holland !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tragic

jammy395

Daniel Quinn wrote:how the bloody hell can it be cheaper to make hp sauce in Holland !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tragic

Dan it simply cant be done........... :think: unless................

ITS HOLLANDAISE SAUCE... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Lindsayt wrote:I bought my Creek at a Linn Naim dealer. The 4040 was in an area of the market that Linn and Naim didn't occupy.

Although it may have been that comparative demos made it hard for some potential customers to justify the cost of Naim amplification.

My brother's Naim 42 / 110 combination was probably a bit better than my Creek and it also had an MC section which the 4040 lacked - being MM only. Any gains from his amplification was lost by him using boring-boring Mission speakers which I never liked but he did for some strange reason.

Anyway, the main reason I never bought any Naim amps was because of the marginal improvement over my Creek compared to the cost.
Hear hear! I've done the comparison more than once. The little 4040 gives little away to Naim. The series 3 even less. The 4140 series 2 has MC and a little bit more grunt, so is ever closer.

Like you said. Benefits of Naim are marginal at best. Musically I might even say the Creeks are more fun.

Oddly the Creek 5050, which did come in at a competing price level to Linn and Naim was rubbished by the mags and ended up still-born. Mike Creek somehow managed to "lose his touch" even though the amp had the same circuit with bigger power supplies. Funny that? :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ask the ex Pink Triangle guys what it is like to try and compete head to head in the shops and the dirty tricks that were played. The Linn reps were told to tell dealers to joke with customers that they may catch aids from a PT. This was in the 80's aids crisis. The reps were shown how to F'up the suspension on a Pink and one was caught doing it on a dem room camera in a well known shop.