Should Huawei be removed from UK systems.

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Should Huawei be removed from UK systems.

Unread post by Fretless »

Have the Chinese ever forgiven the Great British Empire for turning a large number of their population into opium addicts, I wonder.

Domination by drugs.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

SteveS57
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveS57 »

These users thanked the author SteveS57 for the post:
slinger (Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:12 pm)

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

We should be asking questions about this. Sticking to the 5G argument for a moment.

The last technical evaluation of using Huawei's products is here https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... eport-2019. If you read that - and I'm pretty sure that the majority of people pontificating about this from the back benches of parliament haven't - you'll get a good picture of the technical risk Huawei was seen to present to the UK telecoms infrastructure. Try finding anything in there about this risk that this could be used to spy on us.

Anyone sending any data across any network should encrypt it, if you don't it's just like putting a postcard in the postbox - anyone can read it. The important bit there is the keys used to decrypt messages - that isn't Huawei technology. So, how is your information being protected, who has those keys?

Why, in the publicity surrounding the decision to remove Huawei from the telecoms network, were Nokia and Eriksson (European based companies) touted as the alternatives and not Cisco who hold the majority of the marked at the moment? Could it be that Cisco is an American company. Where is British-born telecoms technology? (We haven't had any since Project X in the 1970s, if I remember the name correctly).

Edit - not I didn't, Project X was I think earlier (and was basically around creating fully digital exchanges) - https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... sation.pdf

More broadly, where are most of the chips which make our modern devices work made? (China)

Again, more broadly, who developed and profited most from the growth of the technology which is behind the digitisation of most of our lives and brought with it the idea of the 'cyber threat'. (I'll leave you to work that one out, but if China is responsible for Coronovirus...)
These users thanked the author terrybooth for the post:
savvypaul (Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:33 am)
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I would highly recommend SteveS57's link above.

I am still not convinced that the Chinese haven't set Huawei up as a universal bogeyman, a stalking horse. Huawei, to me, are the magician's misdirection. We end up banning them, against Chinese (public) wishes, and we will pat ourselves on the back for stopping Huawei syphoning our secrets back to their masters, while the Chinese carry on stealing our secrets by far more covert means than a huge, high-profile multinational, company.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

I suspect that the Government reaction is less to do with the technology than with the way things are going in Hong Kong.

Also, if the Chinese are interested in my data on the phone, they can have it. I don't even spel wel. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

Let's face it the Chinese are hardly likely to want the secrets to Boris's success as a plum minister. I can see why they'd want into the US, German, French or Russian infrastructure, but I doubt they'll be too bothered about a 3rd soon to be 5th rate power, except perhaps for debt collection purposes.

Joking aside I do believe that this is a miss direction, I'm just not sure if it's the Chinese or the Muricans.