Human vanity

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Human vanity

Unread post by slinger »

ArloFlynn wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 pm That Fawltey Towels is perhaps the funiest comedy episode I have ever seen. Still never mind, just don't mention the War.
I did, once, but think I got away with it. :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

And if films like Gone With the Wind are to be withdrawn from streaming services because of their portrayal of the black characters in it, what about withdrawing all those Hollywood films where the good guys have American accents and the bad guys English accents?

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I saw a mention earlier that slavery is racist, let us be quite clear that a slave can be of any skin colour or gender. A woman trafficked from Eastern Europe is as much a slave as was a man taken from West Africa to the United States. Slavery is unacceptable in any form.

The situation with George Floyd is different in that he was treated as being of less value and with less respect by those arresting him than would have been accorded to a white man in the same situation. That is absolutely wrong. I believe that in the United States one is still innocent until proven guilty thus, in theory, anyone arrested should be entitled to a degree of respect and the same care taken to preserve their life, irrespective of any other consideration.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
savvypaul (Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:08 am)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:48 am And if films like Gone With the Wind are to be withdrawn from streaming services because of their portrayal of the black characters in it, what about withdrawing all those Hollywood films where the good guys have American accents and the bad guys English accents?
Removing films (and other media content) that were made in 'different times' is not a great reflection on our perceived ability to think for ourselves. However, if there had been greater equality in the film industry in the last 30 years then maybe the clamour to remove 'old' films would be less.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

It's really simple folks. It's all about treating everyone with respect and valuing their contribution..

To do that, we need to recognise that we all have hang ups and prejudices - and keep them under control. That also means being respectful to those you don't like for whatever reason.

Peace to all.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Like most "sudden" attempts to right perceived wrongs, it has swung from zero to eleven in no time at all. People are involved in fiercely competitive virtue signalling:

"This is terrible."
"No, this is worse."
"You're both wrong, look at this..." etc.

Eventually calmer heads will, I'm sure, prevail and things will settle down to a nice four or five. That's not to say that everyone is wrong, but not everyone is right either. I'm pretty sure that the KKK Film Society doesn't show Gone With The Wind more than once a year for instance, and UKTV has today reinstated the Farty Towels episode, albeit with a warning about "offensive content and language."

While I'm pontificating, a quick word about "All Lives Matter," which has gained some unwelcome traction. This is how it was explained to me, in pictures.

The slogan "All Lives Matter," has been co-opted by racists on social media. The danger is that it sounds innocuous and seems, on the face of it, quite reasonable, but when we repeat it we're unwittingly spreading their message.

For once this is not simply my opinion, it's what's actually happening on Twatter, and Farcebook etc.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 3):
antonio66 (Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:12 pm) • Docfoster (Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:07 am) • NSNO2021 (Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:21 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

slinger wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:57 pm
ArloFlynn wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 pm That Fawltey Towels is perhaps the funiest comedy episode I have ever seen. Still never mind, just don't mention the War.
I did, once, but think I got away with it. :lol:
It has been returned. Comedy matters.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

Is this "gettable"? Genuine question. I'm not sure it's clear enough.

These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post:
slinger (Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:17 pm)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Docfoster
Wales

ImageThis better...?
savvypaul (Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:00 am)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Docfoster
Wales

slinger wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:36 pm Like most "sudden" attempts to right perceived wrongs, it has swung from zero to eleven in no time at all. People are involved in fiercely competitive virtue signalling:

"This is terrible."
"No, this is worse."
"You're both wrong, look at this..." etc.

Eventually calmer heads will, I'm sure, prevail and things will settle down to a nice four or five. That's not to say that everyone is wrong, but not everyone is right either. I'm pretty sure that the KKK Film Society doesn't show Gone With The Wind more than once a year for instance, and UKTV has today reinstated the Farty Towels episode, albeit with a warning about "offensive content and language."

While I'm pontificating, a quick word about "All Lives Matter," which has gained some unwelcome traction. This is how it was explained to me, in pictures.

The slogan "All Lives Matter," has been co-opted by racists on social media. The danger is that it sounds innocuous and seems, on the face of it, quite reasonable, but when we repeat it we're unwittingly spreading their message.

For once this is not simply my opinion, it's what's actually happening on Twatter, and Farcebook etc.
It's important that this point is made.

Another analogy I've heard is that of a fit and healthy person standing outside a hospital and complaining about all the sick patients inside getting all of the hospital's attention.
"But everyone's health matters!" he moans.
slinger (Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:17 pm)