Opinions on how the Government have handled the coronavirus outbreak

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

Opinions on how the Government have handled the coronavirus outbreak

Unread post by karatestu »

I had little respect for this government before covid 19. Now i have even less.

I think they are simply liars. PPE for health and social workers. Still waiting for my mother's carers to be given proper PPE. That makes them murderers in my opinion. Oh well, they were going to die anyway :angry-steamingears: Well this virus could kill any one of us on this forum and any member of parliament for that matter.

Happy fffing Easter.
DIY FREE ZONE

Latteman
Great Britain

Re: Opinions on how the Government have handled the coronavirus outbreak

Unread post by Latteman »

Not necessarily just the gov but hospital managers too!!!
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I didn't believe I could think less of Johnson and his bunch of avaricious, devious, multi-faced mongrels, but I seem to have managed the trick quite easily, and what's more the process is ongoing. There is not one single shred of sympathy, empathy, or humanity between the lying, cheating shitehawks.

For the sake of balance, it's my duty to point out that other opinions are available. They're wrong, but they're available. ;)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Well, we started from a less than ideal point - 10 years of austerity, 70,000 nursing vacancies, the lowest number of ICU beds (per 100k population) among the major countries of Europe, demoralised NHS workforce, lack of testing facilities. They are now trying to do their best but are hampered by their own errors and ideology.

The Tory Party does not care about ordinary people. Tory MPs loudly cheered voting down a fair pay rise for nurses. All of the appointments to Boris Johnson's cabinet voted against that pay rise.

Johnson very nearly found something that he couldn't bluster, bluff and lie his way out of...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Underfunding of the NHS and lack ofj PPE aside the Government has made a pigs ear of this with Rees Mong and his ilk laughing all the way to the bank. It is being covered up by lies on a scale of Brexshite. We knew this was coming so why were our borders not closed and why did the lockdown not happen weeks earlier? One thing to come out of it will be the age group who tipped the balance on Brexshite being six foot under ground, but they will still force it through.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Some statistics here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It all depends what spin you want to put on these.

For example, the USA has had fewer deaths per case. Does that mean that we should adopt an American Health System in this country?

Also, per head of population, the UK has had more cases of Coronavirus than Sweden and more deaths. The UK has been in lockdown.
Sweden is not in lockdown apart from banning gatherings of more than 49 people...

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

So we are of the same opinion so far. This government does not make me feel safe. A government should be able to do this. The game of politics is seen as more important. Feck politics, it stinks and produces rotten eggs.
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Politicians are only people, that for whatever reason, chose to get into politics.

I don't expect any particularly high levels of competence from any government.

I don't expect particularly good levels of management in any large organisation.

Nobody's perfect. I don't expect perfection from anyone.

You can put a negative spin on how the UK Government has handled Coronavirus. Or you can put a positive spin on it.

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

We didn't have the ability to manufacture tests. Still don't. So couldn't do what Germany have been able to do.
A globalised economy will inevitably mean that there are things (e.g. manufacturing medical PPE or re-agents for virus tests) that a country doesn't routinely do within its own borders. I don't know if it would have been possible to stock pile them in advance. 10 years of austerity probably reduced the resilience of the health care system. 3 years of obsessing about Brexit probably distracted the UK government. We were already in a perilous position when the first Cornoavirus case entered the UK.

Due to the current inability to mass test in the UK it is impossible to determine who actually does have the virus here. (The chances of the figures on "confirmed cases" for the UK being accurate is infinitesimally small.) The policy is therefore to treat everyone as if they have the virus and to lock down the whole country. Presumably once mass-testing is available the lock-down will be focused on just those who actually test positive and those with whom they have recently associated (as I think is happening in Germany).

What I want to see is more openness from government and society about the longer term cost to life of relentlessly pursuing the goal of reducing deaths from Covid 19. Crippling the economy indefinitely is not a free lunch with regard to health. I presume the government advisers are doing the grisly sums on how to minimise overall deaths over time (is that why the UK lockdown appeared to be delayed?). This is an extremely difficult situation the UK is now in.
These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:25 am) • slinger (Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:12 pm)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Politicians perceive the price of honesty is being voted out of power. Spin is always going to be a hard habit to break.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/