Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Unread post by savvypaul »

I certainly think the argument is confused. I could extrapolate that, if I obey the law, then my own actions are political.

Politicians make political decisions and create laws. Police enforce those laws. How Police have interpreted these particular laws is yet to be tested, afaik.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

Lindsay, did you hear former Supreme Court judge Lord Sumption on BBCWorldatOne? He was fighting your corner.

If not, listen here...
https://t.co/PxYRsJegPx
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The consensus as broken down.

A law firm is to challenge the law on the basis that the law is discriminatory . 1 hour out of the house per day is not good for autistic children is is claimed.

Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

You will find that the same people bleating on about civil liberty and human rights will be the loudest voices condemning the Government for not doing enough if the death toll reaches the thousands per day.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

With the number of cases and death toll going through the roof talk about civil liberties is irrelevant and pathetic. If the lockdown came into force two weeks sooner we would be in a better position now and it probably not be necessary for it to continue for so long. The situation in Italy should have made this obvious, all the more so as our health service is not equipped to cope. China has showed that the only way to contain the virus is extreme measures, the sooner the better.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Thats if you believe the news coming out of China. Strong reports that the death toll was over 40k. Strange times who knows what to think anymore. Stay safe my friends.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:16 am The consensus as broken down.

A law firm is to challenge the law on the basis that the law is discriminatory . 1 hour out of the house per day is not good for autistic children is is claimed.
I was not aware that 1 hour for a walk was mandatory.

I thought that the suggestion was to walk as you would normally, maintain social distancing ,but not to travel away from home to start such walk.

Most of my walks are after 9PM, and in a rural area where I am fortunate enough to live.
Last edited by valvesRus on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Chunk McDaniel wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:04 pm Thats if you believe the news coming out of China. Strong reports that the death toll was over 40k. Strange times who knows what to think anymore. Stay safe my friends.
I'd hesitate to believe any "official government figures" on Covid 19, most of all Chinese / Russian ones.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Human rights are too important to be blithely dismissed. I think it's possible to be more grown up about such complex matters.

The government cannot take away your right to freedom without good reason. Protecting the right to life is a good reason, but it should be demonstrable. It is clearly demonstrable (and the measures are generally accepted) in light of the pandemic, but there are some circumstances that are not explicitly covered. For example, if someone is being subjected to domestic abuse, which takes precedence - freedom from torture or protecting other lives by not leaving the house? Regarding the test case mentioned by DQ, I'm not autistic, nor are any of my family or friends, and I'm certainly not expert in the condition. It will be decided by experts and a judge, after considering all arguments.

The government have had to compile the COVID-19 legislation and get it through the chambers at great speed and under great pressure, so I have some sympathy. However, the government is also being hoisted with it's own petard, when it comes to the way the pandemic is being managed - i.e. 10 years of underfunding the NHS.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

valvesRus
Great Britain

From the Government web site Q & A section.

"People must stay at home as much as possible to reduce the spread of the virus. But you can also still go outside once a day for a walk, run, cycle. When doing this you must minimise the time you are out of your home and stay at least two metres away from anyone else that isn’t from your household."

I seem to remember some Government spokesperson suggesting that an hour was a reasonable time, but not legally enforceable.