Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
valvesRus
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Unread post by valvesRus »

Docfoster wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:10 pm

The BMJ explains “The trial is inconclusive rather than negative, and it points to a likely benefit of mask wearing to the wearer—it did not examine the wider potential benefit of reduced spread of infection to others—and this even in a population where mask wearing isn’t mandatory and prevalence of infection is low.”

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4586

Entirely possible that the legislation has a psychological function as well. As perhaps do many other pieces of legislation.

I wear my mask (when necessary), not because of government guidelines (or legislation) , but for my benefit and also for the benefit of my fellow citizens.

It may not be proven but by gad it makes sense.

For the same reason I do a weekly Covid test using the kits available free of charge from my local pharmacy.

These users thanked the author valvesRus for the post:
Docfoster (Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:02 pm)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:40 pm
ljones67 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:38 am Just watched an interesting video from Ivor Cummins interviewing the author of a book called "State of Fear". UK Column have mentioned the Government departments mentioned in the book many times and the tactics they've used.

Thanks for posting that.

It's interesting what she had to say about masks. About how they were introduced for psychological reasons and how they have stayed for psychological reasons.

All of which puts the legislation on wearing masks on very shakey ground. Because it's largely based on a lie / distortion of the truth.
Any legislation in England that's based on Parliament having been misled is illegal.
If it’s the Danmask-19 study, it actually found something different to what many social media commentators have ascribed to it. The BMJ explains “The trial is inconclusive rather than negative, and it points to a likely benefit of mask wearing to the wearer—it did not examine the wider potential benefit of reduced spread of infection to others—and this even in a population where mask wearing isn’t mandatory and prevalence of infection is low.”

Entirely possible that the legislation has a psychological function as well. As perhaps do many other pieces of legislation.
Why have you provided a link to an opinion piece from the BMJ website?

How about a link to a site that summarises the Danmask-19 study, such as this one?
https://www.thebottomline.org.uk/summaries/danmask-19/
Which says, with my use of bold:
"Outcome

Primary outcome: SARS-CoV-2 infection – no significant difference
1.8% in the mask vs. 2.1% in the control group (Odds Ratio 0.82; 95% CI 0.54-1.23)
"

It's quite possible that the small difference given, was either down to statistical sample sizes, or that there was psychological effect on the mask wearers. For example wearing a mask reminded them to be more cautious about proximity to others, whilst not wearing a mask led to people acting in a more foregetful / carefree manner.

Most medical tests are done on a blind basis with a placebo for the control group. For masks that's not as easily done. Hence this test being a non-blind one.

Given the non-blind nature of the test, it is reasonable to say "no significant difference" between the masked group and the control group are reasonably conclusive in terms of what the test was testing.

When it comes to whether masks affect transmission to others - well how about looking at the results of any scientific tests that have tested this?

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Lindsayt wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:20 pm
Thanks for posting that.

It's interesting what she had to say about masks. About how they were introduced for psychological reasons and how they have stayed for psychological reasons.

All of which puts the legislation on wearing masks on very shakey ground. Because it's largely based on a lie / distortion of the truth.
Any legislation in England that's based on Parliament having been misled is illegal.
If it’s the Danmask-19 study, it actually found something different to what many social media commentators have ascribed to it. The BMJ explains “The trial is inconclusive rather than negative, and it points to a likely benefit of mask wearing to the wearer—it did not examine the wider potential benefit of reduced spread of infection to others—and this even in a population where mask wearing isn’t mandatory and prevalence of infection is low.”

How about a link to a site that summarises the Danmask-19 study, such as this one?
"Outcome

1.8% in the mask vs. 2.1% in the control group (Odds Ratio 0.82; 95% CI 0.54-1.23)
"

It's quite possible that the small difference given, was either down to statistical sample sizes, or that there was psychological effect on the mask wearers. For example wearing a mask reminded them to be more cautious about proximity to others, whilst not wearing a mask led to people acting in a more foregetful / carefree manner.

Most medical tests are done on a blind basis with a placebo for the control group. For masks that's not as easily done. Hence this test being a non-blind one.

Given the non-blind nature of the test, it is reasonable to say "no significant difference" between the masked group and the control group are reasonably conclusive in terms of what the test was testing.

When it comes to whether masks affect transmission to others - well how about looking at the results of any scientific tests that have tested this?
:sleeping-sleep:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

valvesRus
Great Britain

As I have said before, It's good to have the right to express ones views in earnest Lindsay, but those views are not (in the main) of any interest to me, so forgive me if I give them no credence.

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

Lindsayt wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:20 pm
Thanks for posting that.

"Outcome

"

I mentioned the Danmask study because I know about it.
I know about it because conspiracy ideologists who have confronted me elsewhere in the past have referenced it as evidence that masks do nothing to prevent spread to others. The BMJ piece makes clear that this was not part of the study.
So my post above has certainly been rehearsed elsewhere.
You sound uncomfortably energised by my previous post’s inadequacies. Apologies.
These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:18 pm) • CN211276 (Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:35 pm)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Docfoster wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:45 am
I know about it because conspiracy ideologists who have confronted me elsewhere in the past have referenced it as evidence that masks do nothing to prevent spread to others. The BMJ piece makes clear that this was not part of the study.
You sound uncomfortably energised by my previous post’s inadequacies. Apologies.
So, on what scientific research was the UK legislation that made face covering wearing compulsory based on?
It wasn't the Danmask-19 study.

valvesRus wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:15 am As I have said before, It's good to have the right to express ones views in earnest Lindsay, but those views are not (in the main) of any interest to me, so forgive me if I give them no credence.
Credence definition: "belief in or acceptance of something as true."

I have no interest in knitting. If someone were to express views that knitting is a method for making clothes I would give them credence.

I cannot see any logical link between a lack of interest in something and whether that determines if one should believe or accept it as being true.

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:22 am
Docfoster wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:45 am
on what scientific research was the UK legislation that made face covering wearing compulsory based on?
I don’t know...?
Pass...?
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

valvesRus
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:22 am mething as true."

I cannot see any logical link between a lack of interest in something and whether that determines if one should believe or accept it as being true.
If I said any more it would undoubtedly be classed as Ad Hominem, so my lips are closed. ;)

valvesRus
Great Britain

I read this just now.

"The Delta variant is 40% more transmissible, the health secretary says, adding that protection against it is just as good with two doses of a vaccine."

So I will be keeping my distance and my mask will be at the ready for the foreseeable future.

My partner had a verbal death threat from an Asian guy for enquiring if he'd forgotten to put his mask on before entering a small shop on the outskirts of Bradford. :evil:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

valvesRus wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:21 pm
Lindsayt wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:22 am mething as true."

If I said any more it would undoubtedly be classed as Ad Hominem, so my lips are closed. ;)
The way to say nothing is to say nothing Then I don't have to say that sly, passive aggressive sniping is even less admirable than straight forward ad hom.

Stick to the topic content.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Lindsayt (Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:10 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/