Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
ArloFlynn
Ireland

Re: Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

One more...Mr Slinger.. I keep meaning to have a listen to Piers Corbyn, as I was a supporter of his brother Jezza. Do you have a link? I can never find him. The other toades I leave alone. Cheers.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I'm still a staunch supporter of Jeremy Corbyn, but that's a whole other thread, but his brother, Piers, fell so far from the tree he might as well have landed in a different orchard. All right, so he's got a B.Sc. in Physics, and an M.Sc. in Astrophysics, but that's hardly rocket science, is it? :lol:

Now that I've got my cheap laughs out of the way... https://www.desmog.co.uk/piers-corbyn is probably the most unvarnished collection of info, and links I can find He's also, as you'll see, a confirmed climate-change denier. He's a scientist who believes science is lies and can't seem to grasp the contradiction. His Wikipedia page describes him thusly: "an English weather forecaster, businessman, activist, anti-vaxxer and conspiracy theorist" Actually, his Wikipedia page is worth a read too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piers_Corbyn

I think this needs making mention of when discussing him too.:
February 4, 2021
Corbyn was arrested following the distribution of leaflets comparing COVID-19 vaccination efforts to the Holocaust, The Guardian reported.
He's "out there," even among the "out there's."
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Lol. Excellent. Thanks.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

This is what we're up against. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And there are people out there looking at that and thinking "Yeah, that makes sense." :roll:
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
CycleCoach (Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:39 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

ljones67
Great Britain

Unread post by ljones67 »

Despite having a job where I can either be in the office or work from home, I've always felt extremely uneasy with what is going on, not just in this country but around the world. The long term effect of all this will surely be enormous.

I'd been watching a couple of youtube channels long before Covid appeared, one called UK Column and another The Corbett Report. The UK Column has a livestream every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 1pm. As well as the usual reports, data, video clips etc that's usually shown, today's show featured a statement from a senior nurse. People are obviously free to make up their own minds about it but I thought it was shocking.

After 14 years The Corbett Report has just been 'cancelled' by youtube but can be found on odysee. Last night I watched a 2 hour documentary called 'Who Is Bill Gates' which was a real eye opener. The amounts of money paid to various organisations and companies and the massive returns these 'donations' will make are eye watering.

One more youtube channel I've recently been following is Dr Sam Bailey. Her videos on Covid are very interesting, especially PCR testing which I've seen mentioned on here recently. PCR testing has also been discussed many times on UK Column.

I'm 'only' 54 and didn't want the vaccine but I felt I had no choice. When a healthy 30 year old colleague can't wait to get vaccinated so she can fly on a plane again, that can't be right. There's no doubt there will be more lockdowns and they will be blamed on people basically trying to get on with their lives (in a lot of cases, what's left of them) or new variants which have suddenly appeared.

I really can't see an end to all of this. I just hope the interviews I've seen predicting a massive worldwide financial crash and years of pain ahead aren't true. Given the huge debt around the world I can't see how it can be avoided.
These users thanked the author ljones67 for the post:
Lindsayt (Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:08 am)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

ljones67 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 pm I really can't see an end to all of this. I just hope the interviews I've seen predicting a massive worldwide financial crash and years of pain ahead aren't true. Given the huge debt around the world I can't see how it can be avoided.
It can be partly avoided by understanding that currency issuing nations do not have debt...they simply have money supply and production demand. Taxes do not pay off debt, there is no debt. Taxes act as a brake on demand, which controls inflation.

Production demand is currently through the floor, so what is required is a very significant fiscal stimulus. Biden has realised and acted upon this. Unfortunately, the Tories ideological instinct is austerity, which is both harmful and hurtful.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
slinger (Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:22 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

ArloFlynn
Ireland

savvypaul wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:23 pm
ljones67 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 pm I really can't see an end to all of this. I just hope the interviews I've seen predicting a massive worldwide financial crash and years of pain ahead aren't true. Given the huge debt around the world I can't see how it can be avoided.
It can be partly avoided by understanding that currency issuing nations do not have debt...they simply have money supply and production demand. Taxes do not pay off debt, there is no debt. Taxes act as a brake on demand, which controls inflation.

Production demand is currently through the floor, so what is required is a very significant fiscal stimulus. Biden has realised and acted upon this. Unfortunately, the Tories ideological instinct is austerity, which is both harmful and hurtful.
I have spent some time watching the finance side of Coronavirus, but I don't understand it well enough, some reports do seem frightening. Maybe that is the idea?
I like Savvy's post and agree, the Tories do not like giving the average man or service money.

IJones67, yes Sam Bailey is very good. As for the UKColumn, although they have investigative journalism, they have a narrative (true or not) and I don't like the cut of their Jib and so only Cherry Pick through their stuff.
Kevin.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

CycleCoach wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:02 pm
Lindsayt wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:55 pm
savvypaul wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:44 pm

That would depend on the definition of a 'person providing services'.
Well what do you call it, if it isn't providing services? When a delivery driver carries a box of items ordered by the shop into the premises?

What would any reasonable person call it?
More barrack-room lawyer bullshit.
Fuck off it is.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

savvypaul wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:08 pm
Lindsayt wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:55 pm
savvypaul wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:44 pm

That would depend on the definition of a 'person providing services'.
Well what do you call it, if it isn't providing services? When a delivery driver carries a box of items ordered by the shop into the premises?

What would any reasonable person call it?
What I call it is not what matters. In my opinion, any reasonable person would think it reasonable that a delivery driver should wear a mask when making deliveries inside a shop that is open to the public. I'm also of the opinion that it's reasonable anyone who forgets to do so should be given 'advice' on the first occasion, a 'warning' on the second occasion and a fine on the third occasion.

Your complaint about the driver in the video is based on an assumption that the driver had not previously received advice or warning, but you have no way of knowing. Should we assume that the Covid Warden is racist? Should we assume that the delivery driver has been screwing the Covid Warden's husband? Or should we only assume what suits our own argument?
Police officers are - supposedly - employed to try to catch anyone that is breaking the law. Written law. And in cases where the written law is open to different interpretations it's down to the courts to set precedents.

Any action that a police officer carries out in the course of their duties should be entirely defined by the laws of the land.

When you start condoning police officers giving out fines for actions that are not illegal, you have a state of corruption / tyranny.
That is not a state that I want to live in. Because I could be the victim of this tyranny.

I find it disgusting that you are condoning this illegal action from this police officer - merely becasuse in your opinion you think it's reasonable that a delivery driver should wear a mask in a shop when carrying out his duties. The delivery driver was entirely within his legal rights not to wear a mask as he was making that delivery.

I for one think that our legal rights should be upheld. And not squashed under the boots of petty tyrants like that police officer.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:23 am
Police officers are - supposedly - employed to try to catch anyone that is breaking the law. Written law. And in cases where the written law is open to different interpretations it's down to the courts to set precedents.

Any action that a police officer carries out in the course of their duties should be entirely defined by the laws of the land.
Your first statement is the test of your second statement.
When you start condoning police officers giving out fines for actions that are not illegal, you have a state of corruption / tyranny.
That is not a state that I want to live in. Because I could be the victim of this tyranny.
I disagree with your interpretation that the wearing of face masks does not apply to delivery drivers. But, as we both already do agree, it will be tested by the courts.

I for one think that our legal rights should be upheld. And not squashed under the boots of petty tyrants...
Naturally. Again, if required, that's what the courts are for.

I don't see evidence of systematic tyranny in the videos you've posted. What I accept that we might see (generally) is a few overzealous police / wardens, and the testing of the interpretation of a law that was (by necessity) put together and passed in a fraction of the time it normally takes.

I've been kettled at demos, I've been pushed around at demos, I've been stopped in the street. I carried a sheet that listed my rights in such scenarios. I don't underestimate the potential for abuse of power, I just think that you're making a little more of this particular example than the context, and our sketchy knowledge of the facts, deserves.

For the meantime, I'll save my disgust for things like the police treatment of the black community especially in the 1970s and 1980s, the battle of the beanfield, orgreave, hillsbrough, and many, many more incidents, including cover ups of the circumstances surrounding individual deaths in custody and elsewhere following police misconduct.

It may be that the warden / police interpretation of the law is overturned by the court. It wouldn't be the first time that fine issued under these new laws has been quashed. It still wouldn't necessarily make the warden a 'tyrant', though.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
CycleCoach (Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:12 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/