Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
valvesRus
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Unread post by valvesRus »

But, are you being paid to sit on your arse ?

I'm retired, so I expect nothing from the Chancellor during the current emergency.

My opinion is that the "rules" do not go far enough to prevent the arseholes who think they are above the (current) law making it (potentially) worse for the majority.

But then, are there enough Police to cope ?

If we all did as we were asked this Covid 19 would have MUCH less of an effect.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Yes lindsay , are you? My understanding is you work for local government in a none essential role, so you are. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And I fail to see how it is off topic or not relevant.

There are plenty of govt abuses of power you could have been concerned about.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Enough with the personal remarks, please everyone. Discuss the topic, not the people commenting,
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

The bill has been passed, so it is not illegal. Whether you think the new laws are ethical is another matter.

One part of the bill removes the requirement for councils to provide social care to everyone that is currently in receipt of it.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

valvesRus wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:28 pm But, are you being paid to sit on your arse ?

I'm retired, so I expect nothing from the Chancellor during the current emergency.

My opinion is that the "rules" do not go far enough to prevent the arseholes who think they are above the (current) law making it (potentially) worse for the majority.

My mates who are self employed builders, contracting to larger building companies, would happily be sat at home now if the government hadn't taken 2 weeks to think of a way to support them....
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:56 pm Yes lindsay , are you? My understanding is you work for local government in a none essential role, so you are. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And I fail to see how it is off topic or not relevant.

There are plenty of govt abuses of power you could have been concerned about.
Yes you are wrong.

And going into what I am doing right now for a living is off topic and verging into ad hominem.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

valvesRus wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:28 pm But, are you being paid to sit on your arse ?

From my reading of the Coronavirus Bill, it:

Entitles Public Health Officers to force someone that they reasonably suspect of having the virus to undergo assesment, and to divulge who they have been in contact with.

If the assesment indicates that a person has ther virus or are inconclusive, then the Public Health Officer can force the person to go into quarantine.

The Bill allows premises where people gather to be closed.

It allows Magistrates to place specific orders on people or organisations.

I have not seen anything in the Bill that allows police officers to deliver on the spot fines "to anyone caught flouting the social distancing rules that were announced earlier this week." With this including the number of times a person exercises per day and the frequency that they shop for food.

Have you, or anyone else seen legislation that makes this theft by police officers legal?
If so, please provide a link.

Daniel Quinn

Self employed if they are doing as they are told are 4 days into isolation. Given mortgage breaks ,anybody can survive 4 days.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

This is the latest report from Sky News. I make no personal claims for its veracity. If you disagree, take it up with Sky, or Priti Patel, not me. :grin:
Britons breaking coronavirus lockdown rules can be arrested or fined £60 under new police powers.

Introduced on Thursday with immediate effect, the new powers will give police the means to ensure people stay at home and avoid non-essential travel.

If members of the public do not comply, police may:

Those who do not pay fines could be taken to court, where magistrates will be able to impose unlimited fines.

And, if an individual continues to refuse to comply, police may arrest them.

However, the Home Office said officers "will always apply their common sense and discretion" in the first instance.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said: "The prime minister has been clear on what we need to do: stay at home to protect our NHS and save lives.

"All our frontline services really are the best of us and are doing an incredible job to stop this terrible virus from spreading.

"That's why I'm giving the police these new enforcement powers, to protect the public and keep people safe."

In efforts to boost police resources, the government is ensuring civil servants who already volunteer as Special Constables are able to assist forces as much as possible.

Ministers are also relaxing tax and pensions rules that might deter those recently retired - or approaching retirement - from returning to serve; as well as talking to the private security sector to see how firms might help.

Earlier on Thursday, North Yorkshire Police announced they are now deploying random vehicle checkpoints to ensure people are only making essential journeys.

The force's officers will be stopping vehicles and asking motorists where they are going and why they are going there.

The checkpoints will be unannounced and could appear anywhere any time, North Yorkshire Police said.

In order to help stop the spread of coronavirus, the government has said people are only allowed to leave their homes for:

Gatherings of more than two people in public spaces are banned except in very limited circumstances, such as where it is for essential work purposes.

More follows...
SOURCE
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Daniel Quinn

If you want to ask critical question about this epidemic. Of more interest and slightly less self interest is.

The NHS ability to cope due to underfunding.
The Switch from herd immunity to isolation in such a short time span
Austerity consequences on our public services ability to cope.
The very fact that state intervention as proven to be a political point not an economic one. In short their is a magic money tree.