Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Unread post by savvypaul »

I can't see any government paying out billions in grants, wiping out debts and raising borrowing to the highest level since WW2...unless they really had to. The only thing I'd complain about, right now, is that key workers aren't always getting all the PPE they should.

Mass testing is the way out. It sounds like the government were caught napping but are now desperate to catch up.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

Lindsayt wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:38 pm I'm complying with the rules that are being imposed upon me by the UK Government because I am being forced / coerced to do so.

I am never comfortable when governments grab power and impose this power.

Especially when the power is ethically or legally questionable.

Looking at history, governments do not have a good track record when their attitude is more one of "The people are the servants of the government" instead of the "The government is the servant of the people."

Coronavirus is Coronavirus. Plagues and epidemics are a tragic part of living on this planet.
This epidemic will come and go. For sure it makes sense to modify our behaviour to minimise the loss of life. But should these modifications be imposed in the way the UK Government has been doing?

And even if they should, this epidemic reveals the true nature of the relationship of the people of the UK and their government.
It's not one that I'm happy with. I am not happy when the people in government treat me and everyone else as their servants / slaves / pawns to do their bidding.

I am not happy when the government creates conditions where over-zealous or corrupt officials are let off the leash.

This sacrifice for a greater cause rhetoric has been used before. For example 1914 to 1918.
But then, the “greater good” was abstract notions of “king and country”. Today it’s the very real capacity of our health care system to safeguard the weakest human beings in our society.
Back then the “greater good” was a lure for a young man to increase his risk of death by a thousand fold while living in a trench far from home. To compare that with what we’re being asked to do today does not help the libertarian argument.

More principally, freedom will never be absolute outside of anarchy. The state will always impose restrictions. Indeed, that’s one of its primary functions. What matters is how those restrictions are decided and enforced.
In our country they should be decided via legislation by a democratically elected parliament. The government’s bill was passed last week. Like you, I’m unsure that all of the “recommendations” are covered by the legislation. I’d like to feel surer about that.
Also, your point about police actions is well made. Police should always act only in accordance with legislation. This has not always been the case over the past week, and the police hopefully will be doing even better as time goes on.
Personally I think that in the current circumstances the balance between life and liberty is about right (though as an uneducated layperson I’d like the legislation better specified). This is a very personal balance though. People will have their own sweet spots on that axis.
Given the legislation is covid-specific I am reassured that the legislation will be regularly reviewed.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Slightly off topic but i find it quite disturbing that people would rather argue about the legality of the legislation recently rushed through parliament than wish each other well in the hell that is coming our way.

It is not only the old with underlying health issues that are going to die. I sincerely hope everbody here does all they can to prevent the spreading of this potentially fatal Chinese disease (Trump's words not mine). I wish you all good health, live long and prosper.
DIY FREE ZONE

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

karatestu wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:12 pm Slightly off topic but i find it quite disturbing that people would rather argue about the legality of the legislation recently rushed through parliament than wish each other well in the hell that is coming our way.
Yeah. Of course. Because we can only do one or the other. Impossible to do both.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I would of thought trump said it, is a good reason not to repeat it.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Quick, before the Police catch us, and send us indoors, let's set fire to the 5G masts because of a lunatic scientist somewhere who posited that a virus emits radio waves, and someone on the internet (so it must be true) told people that COVID-19 was being controlled via the new 5G masts. Just when you think the great British public has reached the absolute depths of stupidity they find a hardware shop that's still open, steal a shovel, and dig down another f*cking six feet. :angry-screaming:

I really, really. wish I was joking about the 5G masts. People installing infrastructure have been abused and threatened, and so far at least 3 masts/installations have been set on fire. Because we haven't got enough lunatics running around loose, have we? And that's not counting the ones in the government.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Some heartfelt posts on this page and ones I agree with, the 5g issue in particular is astonishing in its utter stupidity, it really frightening to think that this country has people that thick. I got a local example last night when loon about 7 houses up from threw a party complete with banging dance music and an illuminated disco ball and other outdoor lighting. It wasn't mobbed, I guess maybe 10 to 12. It lasted less than two hours before the police shut it down. No idea what action was taken against the host or his idiotic guests. Moron's 👎
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

A few eeediots racing motor bikes on the largely deserted roads near us.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Check these selfish bastards out... https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/05/thousands-ignore-lockdown-rules-enjoy-sunny-weather-12510443/

I was Googling, dangerous at the best of times, and came across this...
Reckless Conduct Endangering Life
- SECTION 22 OF THE CRIMES ACT 1958

Reckless conduct endangering life is a very serious offence that is laid in situations where a person recklessly engages in conduct that places, or may place, another person in danger of death without lawful excuse. This is a general endangerment offence which can cover a wide variety of offending.
I could make that fit. DQ, a professional opinion would be welcome.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

CN211276 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:12 pm A few eeediots racing motor bikes on the largely deserted roads near us.
Perhaps they were going to a distant shop for essential supplies, or visiting a dependent relative ? :lol: