A message of support

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: A message of support

Unread post by karatestu »

A little tip. If you are worried about coronavirus and you can't get alcohol gel (panic buying has wiped stocks out :roll: ) then you can use something that some of us already have, especially us diy nut jobs.

Isoproyl alcohol is about 99% alcohol and is used to clean circuit boards etc. I have a couple of aerosols here and have ordered a few more. I am going around spraying everything that gets touched frequently by hands. I have even sprayed it on my own hands.

Call me paranoid if you like but if you have a vulnerable relative then you must do what you can or forever have it on your conscience if the worst happens.
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Good tip, Stu.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I've got a better one. Of you worried about it, get someone to slap you till you stop.

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:57 pm I've got a better one. Of you worried about it, get someone to slap you till you stop.
This
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

karatestu
Great Britain

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Well sorry for caring so much and being careful. With my mum in a fragile state this could finish her off.
DIY FREE ZONE

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

karatestu wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:28 pm :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well sorry for caring so much and being careful. With my mum in a fragile state this could finish her off.
Apologies - not directed at you or your situation: just a general comment on what feels like an orchestrated campaign towards global panic.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

karatestu
Great Britain

No worries. My head is mashed at the moment so just ignore me.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Is there no limit to how much schiit life can throw at you ? :angry-screaming: It would seem not.

I managed to keep my vulnerable Mum safe through the first year of planet covid. She is doing ok. It was a very stressful time and exhausting. One can go mad with all the dark thoughts going through your head. I coped by making myself think about diy audio all day long and getting immersed in my kids, making aesthetically challenged speakers and generally talking crap on here. Thanks to all for enduring it politely.

My father spent the last 10 years of his life in a state of quadriplegia after a back operation caused his spine to get infected by MRSA resulting in an abscess at the top of his spine. The result was he could just move his arms but no finger movement at all. My Aunty (his Sister) started with Alzheimer's and died before her time also - fell down the stairs in the middle of the night whilst staying at her daughters.

About three weeks ago a cousin of mine who I was very close to died suddenly age 40. She had spina bifida and ultimately succumbed to urinary sepsis. That was a shock I can tell you. She was the most bouncy, lovely person and I will miss her.

That might be enough tragedy you might think. Well, as of Monday this week there is more. I have a sister who lives in Cyprus and has done for the last 20 years. She would visit once a year to see Mum but suddenly it stopped. She stopped phoning as well. She started with panic attacks a number of years ago. That progressed to paranoia about things like the phone was tapped, somebody was watching her in the shower etc etc. It got worse and worse until she stopped all contact with us, wouldn't go out of the house and didn't trust anybody.

Nobody could get in touch with her and we didn't know if she was alive or dead. It took one of my other sisters to actually go out there and knock on her door a few years ago to find out. Out of the blue this week after more radio silence my brother in law contacted my sister begging for money as their house was going to be repossessed. Added to the fact that a Doctor in Cyprus had eventually decided she has early onset Lewy Body Dementia which often starts as paranoia, hallucinations and delusions. Seems to tick all the boxes. Originally they thought she was bipolar :roll:

So I am faced with the prospect of losing a sister in the next few years as the illness gets worse. She is only 56 . God, I need a drink.
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

As you said, Stu - that's some heavy Schiit.

Watching people you care about fade through illness or (sometimes worse) mental decay must be really hard and I think it's a genuine sign of your strength that you can write (moan) about it here.

We all know personal loss, so keep up the diversionary activities of designing the world's most eccentric speakers, CD players and high-explosive amplifiers.

Let off steam here whenever you like, we're listening. :guiness;

These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 3):
Latteman (Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:40 pm) • karatestu (Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:45 pm) • antonio66 (Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:46 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I've got no words of wisdom, only this old crap, and please feel free to tell me to "fuck off," I promise I won't be offended.

Drinking doesn't help.

In the long run, it just fucks your head up, wrecks your bank account, and alienates you from your friends and family. It turns out that everyone else gets fed up with your drinking long before you do.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
karatestu (Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:45 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X