A message of support

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: A message of support

Unread post by karatestu »

Cousin's funeral on Wednesday :( That will be a strange affair. I have been to a lot of funerals (it's a big family) but this is the first in a lockdown. We will all have to be distanced, no wake and definitely no hugging (I am a big believer in the power of hugs). Must take plenty of tissues.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
slinger (Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:53 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

How are things, Stu ?

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

karatestu
Great Britain

Hi Fret :grin: I am coping but no more :cry: Thanks for asking. There's a lot of schiit going down at the moment and I just want to turn it all off, but I can't. Warning - long post alert.

My son has pretty bad anxiety and is being assessed for autism also . First day back at school after Easter break today and he has been visibly getting more and more anxious leading up to this day. Poor lad, everything we say makes no difference . He needs professional help with this one along with many more school children I suspect. This pandemic really has had and continues to have a very big effect on their mental health. Sadly, I really do think it will have a long lasting effect for many.

I'm definitely in a low which I have learned to recognise well after all these years. Nothing is good, every day is a huge effort and I have to force myself to get enthusiastic about anything. Drinking is still going on at the weekend. I have managed to curtail it slightly to the point that I don't get out of control but I am still reliant on it - at least I can recognise that.

Work is busy as it always is at this time of year. You reap what you sow as the saying goes :grin: :grin:

Not done any messing with hifi recently. I haven't got the energy, time or inclination at the moment. The funny thing is I am quite happy with streaming through the Amazon fire stick in the back of our TV :shock: I am still enjoying the music immensely and I don't even know the bit and sampling rate - it's simply "good enough". I enjoy finding new music with it. It's usually on not too loud and background music as we all talk over it and are doing other things. Music is definitely one of the biggest helpers with dealing with the stress of life and bollox that gets thrown at you.

My wife has Amazon Prime and we were getting Amazon music free on the firestick but then they started charging her and she cancelled it. Never told me until one day I searched for something to play and it wouldn't play it. :angry-steamingears: Went back to youtube for a while. I am not tech savvy at all (kids kno not to ask me anything) but I managed to work out how to cast youtube music from my samsung tablet to the firestick on the TV. I must say I was rather proud of myself and that has started to alleviate some of the fears I had about streaming and file based music. I never knew that youtube music was a different thing to the youtube video channel. Enjoying the music again and there's no subscription.

What this has taught me is that I really don't care that much about the replay equipment as long as it sounds good enough. I had got it in to my head that I was addicted to the kit and the music was coming second. This thought of mine has turned out to be complete bollox thankfully. Maybe I have saved myself just in time ?

All this diy with audio electronics has been in pursuit of the holy grail, you know, the end game where everything just sounds marvellous and perfect. I realise that it is not achievable and so why bother ? The constant tinkering and modifying just to eek out that last bit of detail that I had not heard before all seems to be a futile process when I can cast youtube music (don't know bit or sampling rates) to a firestick played back through my LG TV and be perfectly happy.

I read various audio forums, I suppose to just stop me thinking about painful things happening in life. I recently started to get wound up by most of the things I was reading. I don't look upon my way of doing audio as being better than anybody else's but I get annoyed when others do. The amount of bickering, trying to outdo others, forum politics, ulterior motives, shilling and the general talking of bollox really infantile at times.

I tried to ween myself off forums over the last week. Had some success. I haven't posted in over a week but that hasn't stopped me looking. Just like the drinking it is hard to give up but I will persevere.

My mostly diy system will get finished eventually I hope but I am through trying to eek out every little imaginary improvement. I know it works so just need to build final speakers and a big sideboard type thing to put all the electronics in (except sources which will sit on top). I am tired of it all to be completely honest. I just want to enjoy the music and forget about everything else
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 6):
CN211276 (Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:50 am) • savvypaul (Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:55 am) • CycleCoach (Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:48 pm) • luckyredfish1 (Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:03 pm) • SteveTheShadow (Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:46 pm) • slinger (Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:35 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Thanx, Stu.

Chin up, stay cool.

Never mind the bollocks. :character-beavisbutthead:
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
karatestu (Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:52 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

All the best Stu.
Keep listening to the music (however it comes,) if it helps.
Hopefully your positivity is still there, just waiting for a good moment to return, and your mood can come up as quickly as it went down.
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post:
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

"Keep buggering on"

Be kind to yourself.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

All the best Stu. I know it can be a battle to get an assessment for autism, hopefully your son will get the help he needs.
These users thanked the author terrybooth for the post:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Stu, I'm sure you have the positivity to pull through. Music certainly helps.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Useless advice #34216709
Don't cut your loved ones out of the loop, Stu.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

karatestu
Great Britain

I am humbled by all your kind replies. Thanks.

I have been here before so know how this plays out. The straws pile up on the camel's back until it just takes one more to break it. I fail to see there is a problem until my mind blows, I just assume it is what everybody has to go through on a daily basis and that I am being pathetic. Try to act like everything is normal until I can't hide it anymore.

I was up for three hours last night when I woke after a really bizarre dream ( I won't go in to that now :whistle: ). It took a four pack of larger to slug my mind enough to get back to sleep. This happens occasionally. Well I didn't just sit there staring in to space so I took the opportunity to research streaming devices :roll:

Worked out I would quite something plug and play like a Volumio Primo. Looks good and will probably do everything I require. You can even plug a hard drive directly in to it. The dac inside it is decent I have read. I will probably just use it for free content, I can't see me wanting to fork out for Tidal etc.

Thinking about these things helps to keep my mind off the schitt so kind of relevant :grin:
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:53 pm) • slinger (Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE