Today, I have mostly been....

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Today, I have mostly been....

Unread post by slinger »

Asleep, after a crap night of not doing much of that.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

A lazy day. Nice to get out this afternoon for a walk after the storm. Quite Spring like. Some of the branches which came down in the night had new leaves on. Our repaired fence stood up well, cost the best part of £400 thanks to Ciera.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Sat in hospital for a few hours today, its bloody depressing. I must say things are looking up slightly today. My mum is 76 and has MS, dementia and can't walk. Some would say her quality of life is poor but she's my mum and i dont want her to go. Her carers have her laughing sometimes and that is the most wonderful thing to see., it really is. Last year in summer she said to me "Happy Christmas Stuart". I just went along with it.

She said not too long back that she had forgotten to milk the cows and that had i caught the turkey yet that had got out and was running around.
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

My late wife was "away with the fairies" - as she herself would have put it - a lot of the time towards the end, although I think that was mostly down to all the different drugs they were putting into her.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

My thoughts are with you Stu. For me the hardest part about dementia is when a loved one forgets who you are. I accepted my dad's bursts of anger, frustration and confusion. I was gently amused by travelling around Europe without leaving the comfort of the sofa, or his insistence of going upstairs in my bungalow but the who are you is a tough one.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

karatestu wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:08 pm Sat in hospital for a few hours today, its bloody depressing. I must say things are looking up slightly today. My mum is 76 and has MS, dementia and can't walk. Some would say her quality of life is poor but she's my mum and i dont want her to go. Her carers have her laughing sometimes and that is the most wonderful thing to see., it really is. Last year in summer she said to me "Happy Christmas Stuart". I just went along with it.

She said not too long back that she had forgotten to milk the cows and that had i caught the turkey yet that had got out and was running around.
Stu, 'we' may be poles apart and miles away, but I feel for you buddy. Hope you have close family and friends to help you through it. Take care... D
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Thanks for the kind words Dave. I have three half sisters but only two are my mum's. One lives in Cyprus and has cut all ties and the other lives in Hampshire. I am left to do just about everything concerning my mum because i am the only one around and i only live half a mile away.

It was the same with my father. He suddenly lost use of his legs, had an operation to free a trapped nerve in his back and was just starting to learn to walk again. One day months after the operation he was in awful pain and was still in a wheelchai5r at that point. Rushed to hospital. Turned out that surgeons had infected his spinal cord with MRSA and that caused an abscess at the top of his spine.

Nearly died and spent a month in critical care the first part on a ventilator. Went to a spinal ward at Pinderfields hospital and was nearly a year there. He ended up being almost quadriplegic - could move his arms a bit but couldn't move his fingers at all. He survived for ten years after that living in a nursing home in Selby. I used to pick him up every sunday in a wheelchair accessible car and take him out for the afternoon to see his friends and look at what was happening in the fields round and about. I think that kept him going and i only missed about a dozen sundays in those ten years.

Being almost quadriplegic meant he did not have much lung power and had very lttle ability to cough. We soon realised that lung infections were going to happen a lot. In 2010 he got his first dose of pneumonia and almost died. I dont know how he pulled through and i can still remember the nurses putting a pipe down his throat and sucking the crap out of his lungs. A very distressing time for everyone but he survived another two years until getting pneumonia again. I saw him turn blue when they rolled him over in bed one day. That was the beginning of the end. Eventually he had had enough and pulled all the tubes out of himself and removed his oxygen mask. He got very angry at the end and passed away in front of me. It was the most awful thing to watch and haunts me to this day. It was like watching someone drown in their own bodily fluid.

Just so glad he saw my son for the first 18 months of his life. I never wanted kids but when both my parents became ill at the same time (my mum started with MS after some brain electric shock treatment) little did i know how my mind would eventually change. After a few years of severe alcoholism and several incidents where i woke up in casualty and not remembering how i got there i decided that my life needed some new life in it rather than just seeing death in my future. Having two kids turned my life around if it wasn't for them and my lovely wife i think i would be six foot under by now.

There you go, i bet that little tale cheered you all up. I have done a great deal for both my parents and whilst my siblings have generally been selfish and left me to it, i feel so glad that i have done all that and my conscience is clear.

Have a good evening. I have a date with San Miguel and his friends.
DIY FREE ZONE

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Yes Stu, kids totally change everything. Ill parents I found, not so, but equally hard work. Nature meant it that way. So the new life took prescidence over the old.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Excuse my spelling of presidence.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Precedence.