Labour Leadership Contest

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Labour Leadership Contest

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lisa Nandy has just won the nomination of the GMB union, and is now almost certain to be on the ballot paper that goes to members. The more I hear from her, the more I like her. Got a horrible feeling, though, that the bitter Corbynistas will not look beyond Rebecca Long-Bailey...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Re: Labour Leadership Contest

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Given the Labour power brokers have in past decade demonstrated a bizarre ability to select the most unelectable person right now she is my favourite to be chosen. If they do then it's going to be a very long time before Labour has any hope of forming a government, certainly > 10 years.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Reportedly, last time Corbyn got voted in with the help of the votes from quite a few Conservative voters, who joined the Labour party because it was really cheap at the time and they wanted a Labour leader who was least likely to win an election.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Apocraphyl.

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

It seems to me sadly, that Labour don't require any help from the Conversatives in choosing a leader that won't win a general election.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

From things I've read today, I wouldn't be surprised at Jess Phillips looking to secure a shadow cabinet post by cosying up to Lisa Nandy now.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

The way I see it, the Labour Party is at a crossroads. If they stick to their relatively far-left ideology then the public are not going to ask them to form a government. IMHO they need to move more to the centre and be willing to listen to what the people want. The Tories were good at this with the “get brexit done” message/mantra.

Starmer or Nandy would be a promising move but I fear that the party will go for Lobg-Bailey and ultimately shot itself in the foot (again).

The sobering thought is that in the last 40 years only 1 Labour leader has won a general election and for Blair’s first victory, the Tories pressed the self destruct button in a big way.

TroutFisher
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by TroutFisher »

slinger wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:37 pm From things I've read today, I wouldn't be surprised at Jess Phillips looking to secure a shadow cabinet post by cosying up to Lisa Nandy now.
And why not? She is probably the most amenably acceptable prominent Labour MP out there at the moment. She appears to see things as they are and tell it as it is. I don’t detect dishonesty in her albeit, ‘power corrupts’, but she’s not there yet. I think she deserves a chance. I think, together with Lisa Nandy, they could inspire some fresh politics this country surely needs. Having said that, Keir Starmer is also ok with me. I hope either Starmer or Nandy gets it. Rebecca Long-Bailey for me is not only too Corbinest, and I suspect this is common for most voters, she is visually unattractive, has a most irritating voice/accent and always comes over as a ‘know it all’. As much as this holds no grounds for PC judgement (which most voters do not address), her persona is unfortunately not good for the Labour Party if they want to recover the support of the electorate.