Announcement - The 'new' Hi-Fi Subjectivist Forum

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Announcement - The 'new' Hi-Fi Subjectivist Forum

Unread post by savvypaul »

With all elements of the purchase document now agreed, and the completion process started, Tomasz and I will soon be throwing ourselves full time into the relaunch of NVA. While we are waiting to begin, we want to use this next few days to kickstart the relaunch of this forum.

HFS will continue to promote subjectivism, intelligence, knowledge, experience, lively debate and good humour...but the days of inter-forum conflict are over. We have far more in common with our fellow enthusiasts than there is to separate us. We are all on our own journey when it comes to hi-fi. If you have used this forum, in the past, to 'get your own back' on others elsewhere, then that time is up.

All things must pass. Richard created the forum for his own reasons, I will continue the forum for my own reasons. I am confident that now is exactly the right time to move to the next phase of HFS. The 'new' HFS will concentrate on being a place that is recognised for the very best advice in hi-fi, a place where value for money pearls of wisdom, bake-offs and get-togethers and interesting vintage and DIY projects get highlighted. I hope you will stay with us and continue to contribute and enjoy the forum.

Elsewhere On The Web

For better or worse, EOTW has been one of the defining features of the Hi-Fi Subjectivist Forum. Often it has been informative and witty, sometimes it has been uninformed, antagonistic and puerile. It has had positive results in highlighting misinformation and questionable practices and it has attracted many readers to HFS (though, few members), but it has too often been used as cover for personal abuse. I do not condone personal abuse and I will not let it continue.

When Richard created HFS and EOTW, NVA was Richard, alone. The 'new' NVA will involve at least 3 people, hopefully more. I have a duty of care to my colleagues and I want them to 'come to work' unburdened by inter-forum conflict.

I will not rewrite the past but I will separate it from the future. The EOTW threads are part of Richard's legacy, something that he created and was passionate about. They will be moved to an archive room and locked.

EOTW is now part of HFS history, only.

Forum Rules

The new HFS starts, today, with 'Day 1' and the following addition to the forum rules :

Members of other forums will be afforded the same 'no ad-hominem' protection as members here.

Address the content of the post or website, not the author. Play the ball and not the man.

General Amnesty & Open Door

'Day 1' also includes an amnesty for members who have previously been banned and an invitation to those who have simply 'fallen out' or drifted away. If you are willing to leave past baggage at the door, operate within the rules and make positive contributions, then now is the time to give HFS another try. We hope to see you, soon.

Mods / Admin Teams

I'm delighted to have a talented and dedicated team of mods and admins in place for the new HFS. Karatestu and Fretless join myself and Lindsayt as moderators and terrybooth and Slinger will take care of admin / IT duties. They are all long term contributors here and keen to help HFS to grow. Please show them every courtesy and give them your full support.

It's only...

Lastly, I would ask everyone to remember that 'it's only hi-fi'. No need to be defensive, no need to take ourselves too seriously. Maintain a sense of humour, treat others as you would wish to be treated, think of others as you would wish to be thought of.

Happy HFS!
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Announcement - The 'new' Hi-Fi Subjectivist Forum

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Very pleased to see this. In the past, I have avoided raising certain topics, for example 'active crossovers', as I was conscious that this would attract a swathe of negative comments and more heat than light.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

:clap:

Chunk McDaniel

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

This has made my day. I love this forum but at times felt I could not discuss certain subjects with fear of derision. Subwoofers for example. :clap:

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I wonder if other forums will anounce a day one amnesty in response. Somehow I doubt it.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

They should do if they feel it's genuine. That's up to 'us' I reckon.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

montechristo358
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

Paul, a good compromise I feel.

Something had to be done in moving forward but there was a lot of truth in EOTW that would be a shame to lose completely

Achiving seems a good balance
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Well done Paul and the team good news!

CN211276 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15 am I wonder if other forums will anounce a day one amnesty in response. Somehow I doubt it.
Straight away.... No need for it before anything has actually happened, let it go....

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Onward & upward :-)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

As the original contributor to eotw, I am perhaps more attached to it than most. I fully understand his decision and am pleased he is to host the archive.

What of the future. The first question to ask is have the reasons Richard set up eotw dissipated. Have the charlatans, shils, egos, false prophets and robbing bastards that plagued hifi, disappeared.

Because they as prevelent today as they always have been, eotw must carry on. To this end, I will carry on were Richard left.

Eotw will have to change.It will be a blog as opposed to a forum. There are two many fora, I will not be adding to the numbers, my name is not ywoan.

But it's aim wil remain the same.