Richard Dunn

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
southall-1998
Wales

Re: Richard Dunn

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Fretless wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:23 am I had already written this short tribute and it seems fitting to post it publicly.

My deepest condolances to Nadia - I hope that we here can contribute in some way to help her with her loss.

It has taken me a while to give this sad and unexpected news a place.

How Richard Dunn influenced my life ...

I was hooked on music from an early age - the earliest memories I have are hearing The Beatles on the radio. Later I began to discover more sounds along with the intriguing and mysterious world of Hifi. As an impoverished student in the 80's I saw Nene Valley Audio amplifiers for the first time and was immediately impressed by the stark, utilitarian simplicity and solidity of the design,. They just looked and felt 'right'. As soon as I could, I bought one.

This amplifier was the foundation for my musical explorations into the worlds of Pop, Rock, Jazz, Classical and all and everything in-between. Richard's amps could play any style of music and make it enjoyable, revealing the intention and energy of the performers, unfolding the subtle layers of recording and production.

There were loudspeakers as well. I was completely blown away by an early demonstration of the revolutionary Cube semi-omnidirectional design and that stayed with me as how great speakers should sound. It was 30 years later that I got hold of an abused second-hand set; with friendly help and encouragement from Richard, I was able to refurbish them myself and rediscover their magic.

I was sad to see NVA disappear from the Hifi scene in the 90's but pleasantly surprised to find them operating again as an internet direct-seller some five years ago. Joining the related HFS forum and falling-in with a group of like-minded eccentrics who all shared a passionate love of music.

Richard in direct contact was generous, friendly and helpful. As his forum alter-ego Dr Bunsen Honeydew he was outspoken, impatient and completely intolerant of fools. Refreshingly blunt. Venomously honest. You crossed him at your peril and he had the annoying habit of always being right.

Another side was his deep and penetrating spirituality. A master of Oriental energetic arts he would often surprise with insights and sensitivity.

I have learnt much from Richard on many levels and his greatest gift to me, and I believe many others, was allowing us better access to the joys of recorded music and blowing the cobwebs of commerciality away.

High Fidelity. That means a superior degree of loyalty, truthfulness and honesty. If anyone displayed those characteristics then it was certainly Richard Dunn.
Very well written. I enjoyed reading that.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Ukulele Sam
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by Ukulele Sam »

Really sad to hear this news, condolences to friends and family. Always a pleasure to deal with I found when buying or sorting problems, R.I.P Doc.

Chopsaw54

Unread post by Chopsaw54 »

I didn't know Richard apart from some words on this forum but I'm deeply saddened by his passing.

My condolences to his wife and family.

tweet_my_ribbon

Unread post by tweet_my_ribbon »

My condolances to Richards family and friends. From day one of finding this forum I've loved reading the Docs opinions and knowledge and of course listening to all my music through the NVA equipment I have. Rest in peace.
NVA amps, speakers, interconnects & speaker cables produce the music.

With help from Technics, Audio Technica, Jelco, Musical Fidelity, Cyrus & Soneteer.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

I had the good fortune to meet Richard last year at the NW Audio Show where he was showcasing the A20/P20/Cubettes starter kit. Had a nice chat about the merits of the Sly and Robbie rhythm section. I ended up spending most of my time listening to Richard's kit rather than the rest of the overpriced bling on offer elsewhere. That speaks volumes about NVA and Richard. He will be sorely missed and my condolences go to his family and friends.

Ed345

Unread post by Ed345 »

My condolences and best wishes to Nadia.

I only spoke to Richard a few times and met him once. He came across as funny, warm, and passionate about his products.

mayebaza

Unread post by mayebaza »

My deepest of condolences

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Richard Dunn

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

I have only just heard the news and deeply saddened to hear of Richard’s passing. My condolences to Nadia and the family.

Living a short drive away from NVA Towers meant that I was able to collect all of the NVA items I own. It also meant that I spent a little bit of time with Richard. I found him to be engaging, entertaining and witty. He offered advice when I had a problem with my phono 2 and as a consequence made me realise the importance of being open to new ideas.

People like Richard do not come along very often. I feel quite depressed this evening but we should celebrate the sheer brilliance of Richard’s thinking and they way he turned his designs into working products. I didn’t agree with everything he said but part of the “fun” is to be able to accept that we are not all the same.

Rest in peace you wonderful, cantankerous old wotsit. I’m going to miss you.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Very sad news indeed.

Richard was one of very few in the cottage audio business that I came to respect most highly since my interest was sparked again in 2007.

My condolences to Nadia, family, friends and colleagues of Richard.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

OrangeFixie
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by OrangeFixie »

I have enjoyed listening to music via a variety of NVA products for about 20 years. Richard designed and made great sounding hi-fi. I respected his philosophy of keeping things as simple as possible and he proved his point doing what he loved. RIP.