Kintsugi

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

Kintsugi

Unread post by karatestu »

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUTQkaSSTY[/BBvideo]

I didn't know it but i practice kintsugi. Obviously i try to take care of things but no way am i going to get upset if something becomes damaged or broken. Fix it and keep on using it. Battle scars tell a story.

I refuse to get all worked up if i get a scratch on my car or anything really, its just not worth wasting all that emotional energy. My car is 20 years old and has rust, scratches, pigeon shit and dents. Couldn't give a shit. It has only broken down once in the eighteen and a half years i have owned it. I drive it with pride and i will keep it running until it completely dies (or i do).

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

setting son
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kintsugi

Unread post by setting son »

A good philosophy to live by in this throw away world.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You should investigate their carpenters, they treat it as an art form even ordinary house building timber. The head carpenter is a master carpenter. Every piece of wood is treated with respect as though it is still living. Japanese tools are different as well. They say we are wrong and ruin the wood by using dragging tools, they use pushing tools. For example the cut part of the saw tooth is the opposite side to a western one. A plane is designed to pushed away from you not dragged toward you. Their results tend to show they know what they are doing.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Absolutely, Japanese carpentry is truly stunning. The attention to detail and the accuracy is mind boggling. I am a believer in patching things up and making them usable again, I hate to see something thrown away if it just needs a little tlc to give it a new lease of life.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

So, gold's better than superglue at fixing broken pots? :shock:

I like the idea of sending an Emporer his broken pot stapled together. It's like something from Mr Bean.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Lindsayt wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:43 pm So, gold's better than superglue at fixing broken pots? :shock:

I like the idea of sending an Emporer his broken pot stapled together. It's like something from Mr Bean.
As an aside, is the "vehicle" in your Avatar a copy of Marcos taxi ? :lol:

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:14 pm You should investigate their carpenters, they treat it as an art form even ordinary house building timber. The head carpenter is a master carpenter. Every piece of wood is treated with respect as though it is still living. Japanese tools are different as well. They say we are wrong and ruin the wood by using dragging tools, they use pushing tools. For example the cut part of the saw tooth is the opposite side to a western one. A plane is designed to pushed away from you not dragged toward you. Their results tend to show they know what they are doing.
Last time i checked a UK plane is pushed and a normal hacksaw blade cuts on the push as I think do most saws.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Perhaps it is the other way around then, I know they do the opposite to us. There was a documentary on them a couple of weeks ago.