Linux

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Linux

Unread post by terrybooth »

Lurcher300b wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:48 pm Its a picky point, but being accurate is good sometimes :-)
Absolutely, I'd better re-read my Stallman!
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

applemarc wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:24 pm Now all Apple computer run under Unix and have done since 2001
To carry on being picky, no they don't, they use a Unix like OS.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

After putting the Linux Server on the back burner for a while, I've now been trying to set up an email server for the last few days.

It'll be nice to have my own domain email address, instead of just gmail addresses.

I've jumped in at the deep end and tried following guides off the Internet for doing this. Setting up all the .cf files and whatnot.
Probably the best way to learn. Try to do something and learn from the mistakes and setbacks along the way.

At first I was able to send emails but not receive them. Also unable to connect with a Windows email client (eM and Thunderbird).
This was down to several things that were causing this. Ufw firewall on server not letting mail traffic through. Firewall on broadband router not letting mail traffic through. MX record not set up on Namecheap DNS admin page. A missing "s" in one of my .cf files.

Now I need to sort out this fault "Error: Root directory is a file" which will be down to how I've set up the email accounts in a small Mariadb database as well as the file structure for inboxes etc on the server.
And then I'll see if I get any more issues as I come to test it.

Plus I've got a bit of tweaking to maximise security and minimise spam issues.

Setting up a Linux Server is as techie as hell. But in a way I quite like that as I am having direct interaction and control over the computer.
And there is a lot to be said for not having a graphical user interface on your server, to keep the speed up and the memory requirements down.

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

cf files, make me think you are using sendmail which is fine, though as you say very old school. Just remember sendmail is a MTA not a mailstore.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

An update. My Linux server has been up continuously for something like 18 months now. Just sitting in a corner, serving up web content.

I'm still very much a Linux server novice, but I'm more comfortable now with it than I was 2 years ago.

It's nice to have something reliable, stable, secure that just gets on with things without me having to worry about it.
And the software pricing was amazing at £0.
With the hardware being not too bad at £150ish. Although if I were starting again I'd be tempted to spend a bit more on the initial hardware costs and go completely fanless for lower power consumption.