Political Correctness

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Political Correctness

Unread post by zebbo »

savvypaul wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:36 pm
zebbo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:31 pm Placing any defined percentage on employment applications is wrong plain and simple.
If you want to address an imbalance in the diversity of your workforce then it appears to be an entirely logical thing to do...
What's an imbalance in your workforce if everyone got their job on merit?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

zebbo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:06 pm
savvypaul wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:36 pm
zebbo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:31 pm Placing any defined percentage on employment applications is wrong plain and simple.
If you want to address an imbalance in the diversity of your workforce then it appears to be an entirely logical thing to do...
If you want your workforce to mirror the diversity of society then an imbalance is when it does not do that...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Well, lets say (for example) just pick the person with best exam results. So make a comparison between someone from a poor comprehensive from a deprived area and someone with private tuition and fee paying schooling. Do you think that would create an equal workforce that mirrors society?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Lurcher300b wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:32 pm
Well, lets say (for example) just pick the person with best exam results. So make a comparison between someone from a poor comprehensive from a deprived area and someone with private tuition and fee paying schooling. Do you think that would create an equal workforce that mirrors society?
If they both meet the essential criteria for the role, then 70% of the time (using the BBC example) you would be appointing the person from the lower socio-economic background.

If your point is that the person from a poor comprehensive in a deprived area is less likely to have had the opportunity and support to enable them to meet the criteria of the role...I agree. That also needs to be addressed, obviously.
I am in the hi-fi trade

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

IF they both meet the required criteria then fine, take whichever. However, my point is that, to get 10 successful applicants 2 may well have been discriminated against for NOT being from a deprived background and that's acceptable is it?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Lurcher300b

My point was that a simplistic view like "everyone got their job on merit" will fail to redress larger scale discrimination, so in some cases positive discrimination is needed and justified.

Lurcher300b

zebbo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:53 pm IF they both meet the required criteria then fine, take whichever. However, my point is that, to get 10 successful applicants 2 may well have been discriminated against for NOT being from a deprived background and that's acceptable is it?
If the goal is to create a fair and equal society then yes I think it is.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Lurcher300b wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:54 pm My point was that a simplistic view like "everyone got their job on merit" will fail to redress larger scale discrimination, so in some cases positive discrimination is needed and justified.
I'm always getting the wrong end of the stick...at least I'm consistent.

PS. I agree...
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Lurcher300b wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:56 pm
zebbo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:53 pm IF they both meet the required criteria then fine, take whichever. However, my point is that, to get 10 successful applicants 2 may well have been discriminated against for NOT being from a deprived background and that's acceptable is it?
If the goal is to create a fair and equal society then yes I think it is.
I agree...again.

At least I'm consistent.
I am in the hi-fi trade

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Sorry, I'm afraid that's bollocks - again!
Discrimination is discrimination end of. For the record, I am from a council estate and attended a far from perfect comprehensive.