IF there's another Brexit referendum...

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
User avatar
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Posts: 30830
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Location: Muppet Labs
Great Britain

Re: IF there's another Brexit referendum...

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:29 pm


User avatar
Classicrock
Posts: 2119
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:51 pm
Location: Bristol
Great Britain

Re: IF there's another Brexit referendum...

Unread post by Classicrock » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Fretless wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:17 pm
The forthcoming months are already planned.

No-deal Brexit followed immediately by Boris Johnson becoming PM and the UK proving that it is able to stand easily on its own in direct competition with the EU, USA, China and so on. And not becoming a bankrupt and isolated third-world land as some would have you believe.

The IRA have been sorted out before. No worries there. All immigrants to be forced into little rubber boats at Folkestone and pointed in the direction of France.

No problem. Everybody happy.
And you think that would be the worst outcome? Be careful what you wish for.

User avatar
Fretless
Posts: 4228
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: Somewhere in Holland
Netherlands

Re: IF there's another Brexit referendum...

Unread post by Fretless » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Could be the best outcome the way things are looking.

(I really should try to stay out of all Brexit discussions, my blood immediately starts to boil)
Main: NVA: P50sa - SSP - A40 - LS6 - Cube2
Pi: Allo DigiOne Signature/Volumio/Tomanek LPSU/Jitterbug
DAC: Metrum Acoustics Musette CD Transport: Cambridge CXC
Headphones: AQ NightHawk & NightOwl Amp: Schiit Magni-3
DAC: Cambridge DacMagic Plus + Sbooster LPSU

User avatar
Copperblue
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:15 am
Great Britain

Re: IF there's another Brexit referendum...

Unread post by Copperblue » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:44 pm

CN211276 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:51 pm
Very true.
Brexit is critical to the entitled UK based monied elite. They don’t want the UK to sign up to planed tougher tax evasion laws the EU is contemplating- which includes the customs union. That is partly why the “national self-harm on a grand scale” that is a no-deal Brexit is keenly supported in some quarters.

The whole thing is mugging off Britain - using latent xenophobia, economic uncertainty for white working men, ignorance of how the EU works and the main political parties being a shamble of self-interest......oh and a rose tinted view of the past, bring back the groat and work houses (never did me any ‘arm, ‘cor blimey, they don’t like it up ‘em etc )
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / NVA Cube 2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

User avatar
CN211276
Posts: 2251
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:29 am
Location: Cardiff
Wales

Re: IF there's another Brexit referendum...

Unread post by CN211276 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Copperblue wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:44 pm
CN211276 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:51 pm
Very true.
Brexit is critical to the entitled UK based monied elite. They don’t want the UK to sign up to planed tougher tax evasion laws the EU is contemplating- which includes the customs union. That is partly why the “national self-harm on a grand scale” that is a no-deal Brexit is keenly supported in some quarters.

The whole thing is mugging off Britain - using latent xenophobia, economic uncertainty for white working men, ignorance of how the EU works and the main political parties being a shamble of self-interest......oh and a rose tinted view of the past, bring back the groat and work houses (never did me any ‘arm, ‘cor blimey, they don’t like it up ‘em etc )
The most vocal Tory hard Brexitiers would be hit by harder tax evasion laws.
I set a course just east of Lyra
And northwest of Pegasus
Flew into the light of Deneb
Sailed across the Milky Way

NVA BMU, Sonore microRendu/McRU PS, AQ J-bug, Wirewold Ultraviolet, Chord Qutest, NVA P90SA, NVA A80sMk2, NVA Cube 1s, NVA TSCS, NVA TIS mk2. Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA SSP Mk2, Grado SR 325e, headphones, Chord Mojo.

Second system
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth DAC, Marantz pm 5004, Wharfdale Diamond 121, NVA LS2.

Out and about
Oppo PM3, Audioquest Dragonfly Red.

User avatar
Lindsayt
Posts: 2647
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:06 pm
Marshall Islands

Re: IF there's another Brexit referendum...

Unread post by Lindsayt » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:46 am

So, what happens if the House of Commons doesn't pass the vote for a no deal Brexit and doesn't pass the vote for an Article 50 extension? Now that it has voted twice to reject May's proposed deal?

And if Article 50 get's extended, doesn't that just mean that there's been a huge cock-up on May's part by not working to the deadline?

Lurcher300b
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:58 pm
Great Britain

Re: IF there's another Brexit referendum...

Unread post by Lurcher300b » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 am

Lindsayt wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:46 am
So, what happens if the House of Commons doesn't pass the vote for a no deal Brexit and doesn't pass the vote for an Article 50 extension? Now that it has voted twice to reject May's proposed deal?

And if Article 50 get's extended, doesn't that just mean that there's been a huge cock-up on May's part by not working to the deadline?
Despite volting for no no deal, not voting for a extension will lead to a no deal as there is nothing else in place in law. There has clearly been a huge cock up, but May tried to force the issue by the threat of a no deal, hoping that would make her deal the best worst option. So she did meet the deadline, its just what she came up with was no good. She handed in her essay on time, but it was marked as a F.

Image

User avatar
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Posts: 30830
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Location: Muppet Labs
Great Britain

Re: IF there's another Brexit referendum...

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:13 am

It is a political chicken run, always has been since negotiations started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGtEp7zFdrc

User avatar
Lindsayt
Posts: 2647
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:06 pm
Marshall Islands

Re: IF there's another Brexit referendum...

Unread post by Lindsayt » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:13 am
It is a political chicken run, always has been since negotiations started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGtEp7zFdrc
So Brexit is a waste of a couple of classic 1950's cars? Metaphorically speaking. Sounds about right.

I also see it as a reminder that politicians, in general, are hopeless at organising or running anything. Or more to the point, a committe of 650 is far too large to make meaningful decisions and progress on something as nuanced as Brexit.

User avatar
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Posts: 30830
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 pm
Location: Muppet Labs
Great Britain

Re: IF there's another Brexit referendum...

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:02 pm

My point is we are stuck with our sleeve pinned in the door handle about to go off the cliff and hoping the EU blink (jump) first.

Post Reply