Skills and experience v big bullshiter

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Skills and experience v big bullshiter

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Yesterday was as sad disappointment and a big eye opener for me. On Tuesday I delivered for the best Hi-fi Dealer of Inca Tech Claymore from the 1980,s a retro Claymore we now make. Whilst there on the counter was a DUFF modern expensive integrated amp with a combo CD player, it was opened, inside I saw cheap car stereo chips and a very poor PSU design. The whole thing looked as if it came straight from a Application Note. No new designs smaller nasty power supply, Power amp chip,s with crap thermal properties. It then struck me hard the skills of the designer of my past were all gone and this no skill type of design is now in prominent pole position, how long would this piece of kit last, certainly not 40yrs. Then yesterday this fantastic old friend/dealer rang me to tell me the new Claymore Retro sounded just like the old designs but with more holographic sound and deeper bass with lots of grunt. But it showed up equipment faults i.e. the new equipment of today is design to match the same product line, for example Rega to Rega and Linn to Linn . He also told me people are no longer concerned in the quality of the sound and the near real life presentation but only in style and can it talk to digital lies like a NAS systems. What have we done, well we have been conned. The marketing Gura,s (only to make money) have taught us incorrectly and to there opinion that this cheap shite and throw away products is best, best for who I ask?, certainly not the music or you ears and pleasure.
Now my thanks and good wish go to the staff and my friend Ian for all there help, and to show me to make a product sell it as to glow in the dark be cheap to make and die in a 2yrs, a design a 17yr old could do from a apps note, with no skills or feel for the music but worst of all no experience.
It can be done so imagine it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Skills and experience v big bullshiter

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Welcome to 2018 Colin.

But there has always been cheap badly made crap, the cheap rack systems of the 70's and 80's made by the likes of Amstrad. It is the difference between companies run by marketing men or accountants or run by people who know what to build. The marketing men either con a good designer and use him like Michaelson was famous for or with your experience with TQ, or an established company like Garrard is bought and asset stripped like Plessey did to them.

Sadly it has always happened, the guys with the smile and the slime always seem to create new realities (read fantasies), or the behind the scenes coin counters kill companies and their pension schemes in order to line their own pockets. Opposite ends of the same problems. It is a problem of modern capitalism, always looking for angles to skim the coin, how many want to design new real coins.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Then again you just get the forum bullshitters, you posted this above at AoS as well, so you get a perfect example - "The greatest satisfaction in my career was to start with a blank sheet of paper and come up with an elegant design to solve a problem or achieve a required function". Look who posts it - hilarious.

I suppose in life we always have to put up with the pretend and the real.

It is I, Leclerc

Unread post by It is I, Leclerc »

Some things never change, there're always going to be people who are happy to flog off cheap crap as high quality items to a world that largely doesn't give a monkey's. Alan Sugar got away with it as you say Doc. There will always be a dedicated few who want to try and achieve something in the audio world, or whatever area they choose to work in, though this age of accountants and bottom lines largely restricts that to small privately run enterprises. It's a sign of the times that so many ads in the media are now for "the cheapest insurance/holiday/car etc." and the buying public has been trained, through years of media brainwashing, to think of that as a good thing. If a purchased item has all the right labels and buzzwords on it then they're happy as porkers in poop. To make use of Aldous Huxley's work for a moment, I think the developed world is devolving into a swarm of epsilon semi moron clones.

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

It is I, Leclerc wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:03 am Some things never change, there're always going to be people who are happy to flog off cheap crap as high quality items to a world that largely doesn't give a monkey's. Alan Sugar got away with it as you say Doc. There will always be a dedicated few who want to try and achieve something in the audio world, or whatever area they choose to work in, though this age of accountants and bottom lines largely restricts that to small privately run enterprises. It's a sign of the times that so many ads in the media are now for "the cheapest insurance/holiday/car etc." and the buying public has been trained, through years of media brainwashing, to think of that as a good thing. If a purchased item has all the right labels and buzzwords on it then they're happy as porkers in poop. To make use of Aldous Huxley's work for a moment, I think the developed world is devolving into a swarm of epsilon semi moron clones.
I love this more more please. :grin:

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

On Pink Salmon a silly arse without any respect for his self or anyone, said "get over it" well it is like the saying "what ever" with no respect for themselves or the world around them.
Such a stupid pre-thought statement a "moron" maybe ? What ever.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Salesmen are often on a shite basic wage and depend on making their commission to earn what they deem a decent living, so any thought of "honesty" goes straight out of the window when there's a mortgage to pay and the kids "need" a new x-box or ps4 or whatever and the missus wants a weekend in Paris. This is NOT an apology for salesmen, just a sad fact of life, which has become more and more materialistic with each generation. The "happy" in "happy family," these days, is too often measured by what they have rather than the love they share.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

slinger wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:17 pm Salesmen are often on a shite basic wage and depend on making their commission to earn what they deem a decent living, so any thought of "honesty" goes straight out of the window when there's a mortgage to pay and the kids "need" a new x-box or ps4 or whatever and the missus wants a weekend in Paris. This is NOT an apology for salesmen, just a sad fact of life, which has become more and more materialistic with each generation. The "happy" in "happy family," these days, is too often measured by what they have rather than the love they share.
Well put. :clap:
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Indeed !

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I was a salesman in what was a lofi shop for six months on £20 pw basic wage for six months in 1981/82. I would make up any old :Bllocks: to make a sale and get commission. If anyone asked about a name brand which was not stocked they would be told something on the lines of "won't touch it, can't get spare parts" with corresponding facial expresion and body language. You would be surprised how often it worked and the amount of crap sold.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc