A change is as good as a rest

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

A change is as good as a rest

Unread post by karatestu »

I am done with hifi forums, except this one of course. I really cant be bothered with them anymore. Apart from this one i am not going to bother even looking at the others. I haven't even looked here for a little while. It has been refreshing to be honest but i have missed hfs a bit.

I tend to become obsesed with things and it has been sound replay equipment for the last few years. There comes a time when i become so consumed with things that i HAVE to give it a rest for a while or i crash. Well i hit that point a couple of months back. Played my diy system very little but the ap20, CA CD5 and partially doc modded MS902S have been played quite alot at home. I used to think about my diy efforts every day - what to do next, how to get more music out of them .......on and on it went. Not been thinking about it for a while now.

So what have i been up to ? Playing drums in the 2 bands has been my obsession of late. I have even started some lessons to help my rudiment playing and iron out a few technical things that were holding me back. Absolutely mad for drumming and playing in the bands at the moment, it has even rubbed off on my son who came to watch me play in front of 500 people at a small local festival recently. Well, my latest obsession had to be musically related.

Work is crazy busy as well but i am starting to have a few little twitches to get back to the diy music replay adventures. The journey will restart at some point just not sure exactly when. Dont forget about me :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: A change is as good as a rest

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Burn out - too much of a good thing. Come back to it fresh.

karatestu
Great Britain

Well that is the way it goes with me. Burn out, have a rest and forget about it for a while and then come back with a vengeance.

The ap20 has been god sent to be honest doc. Always there ready to make wonderful music and i dont have to think about how it is doing its thing and what is inside. Musical bargain of the century :dance:

I try not to use the term hifi anymore (oh no, i said it. I said it again. Ni, ni, ni). Its all bollocks.
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Know what you mean Stu. I can get pretty fixated about things for a while and you have to force yourself to let them go

As John Miles sang: 'music was my first love - and it will be my last'.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

karatestu
Great Britain

When it comes down to it, its always the music.

My love of music seems to have been greater (like i remember it back in my late teens and 20's) whilst i have been having a rest from the soldering iron.
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There is only music everything else is slurp and bullshit. You are involved in MAKING music with your drums, enjoy it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

BTW what forum have you been posting on and given up on.

karatestu
Great Britain

TAS, Andrews newest one. Not posted on pfm for ages. Must say I still like it even though they think I am a nva arse licker and generally ignore me. Never posted at aos or waswam but used to look now and again. Love the satirical blogs though.

Les W asked for his membership at pfm to be cancelled a few weeks back. End of an era.
DIY FREE ZONE

Chunk McDaniel

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Nice to see you back Stu. I enjoyed reading about your build capers. Good to hear your still hitting those skins too.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Just looked at a recent PFM thread about someone asking about Belles amps, namely the 'baby' integrated at a couple of grand or so which I'm sure is a huge step up on the Nait 5 the op had before (the maker comes across as a US version of Glenn Croft but makes 'em look a lot posher).. What did he end up buying after getting the Coherent/NuNu-supporters going? A bloody Naim SN2 pile of ..... (baaa!).

Enjoy your playing Stu. I could never discipline myself to practise, but hearing un-amplified jazz thirty odd years ago live in a small pub and fairly close up, changed my perceptions forever regarding audio gear...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...